Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Nastiest thing ever!!! >

Nastiest thing ever!!!

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Nastiest thing ever!!!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Nastiest thing ever!!!

Ok. My brother killed an 8 point on Thanksgiving day, and I told him that I would doa European mount for a deer if he killed one. I was just kidding. Turns out he kept the deer head in the back of the shed since the day we got back from hunting. I didn't know and he asked me yesterday if I was still going to mount it for him. I didn't know he kept the head. That was the most discusting thing I've ever done in my life. He still had some neck attached so I had to hold my nose and hit it with an axe. Maggots went everywhere! I boiled the head and I think everything within a 5 mile radius could smell it. I got it cleaned off, but I will never volunteer to do that again. If I only would have known that he kept the head. But yeah that was an experience. Has anybody else had to endure anything that bad??? If you have I'd like to know because I about threw up 30 different times. And I didn't think it could get any worse than that.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nastiest thing ever!!!

Next time just let the maggots do the work for you. When you kill the deer take as much skin and meat off of it and let the creepy crawlers do the rest. They are pros at it.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds all too familiar. I did two last year for a couple guys. One found one shed hunting, the other forgot about it for a couple months after rifle season. Your right, probably the worst smelling stuff ever. This year I did another for a guy who waited a couple months and the same thing. From then on I told myself I don't make enough $$ on them to be doing them when their half rotted. Since then I have turned down two heads because they were rotted.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

All night long I kept smelling it. It was in my head. It has a distinct smell to it. The worst part was when I got the head submerged hundreds of dead maggots floated to the top. But I'm still smelling it in my head from time to time.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how, but that smell doesn't get to me. Here are pics of the two skulls I did last year before I began to clean them.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

This one required me to sever the head from the deer...it was still fully intact even though the deer had been dead for at least a few winter months.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:23 PM

I do it all the time...I own Finishing Touch Skull Works...lol. Yeah it sucks when someone brings you a "find". I have one my friends son wounded, they found it 2 weeks later. Then the knucklehead put it in a plastic bag to "contain" the smell (contains moisture/creates more smell)...I nearly fell over when I opened the bag, damn thing is BLACK...that one is still sitting outside, havent muscled up the stomach to skin that one out for the beetles...

Frankie
Old 01-22-2007, 07:19 PM

just next time skin it and then just put bor-ax on it then boil it with peroxide
Old 01-23-2007, 01:58 AM
Typical Buck

Dude Im Eatin Lunch [:'(]
Old 01-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]