Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Bummed out

Old 01-03-2007, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bummed out

My 2005 Whitetail mount that I picked up in July is starting to show cracking along the eyes and there is a sewn seam in the back that is pulling apart. It also looks like the hide is pulling away around the mouth.
The same taxi did a mount for me in 2002 that is also showing same symptoms, in fact the seam in the back has pulled apart completely. Is this due to low humidity in the house or just a poor taxi job. I have not talked to the guy who did them yet, but he has told me to bring them back for any problems. I am just wondering if I need to keep the humidity higher or a new taxidermist.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Spike

Default RE: Bummed out

New taxidermist. The hide on your mount should already be as dry as it could get. I would give him a call and see what he has to say. I am sure you could get the mounts re-caped. I would be getting my money back. and I would not do buisness with him anymore.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. Something wasn't right with the tan and hide prep. I would talk to him and see what he could do for you.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

bad taxi work!!! i`d call the guy asap!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Probably pickled the hides and didn't have them tanned properly, that is more than likely the problem.[:'(]
Old 01-17-2007, 09:56 PM

dabowhunter

I wouldn't call it bad taxidermy. There are alot of possiblities to consider. The tan, what kind of tan did he use? Sounds more like he gave it to you before it was completly dry. We have a drying room with a dehumidifier so we know our mounts are completely dry when they go out the door. But we have experianced mounts that have been on our wall for a month and not been completely dry. Everything are describing is caused from the mount drying. It is normal and most taxidermists fix it while or after it is drying. I would take it back to him and let him fix it if he is willing to do so. It shouldn't be a big deal for him to do so.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Everything are describing is caused from the mount drying. It is normal and most taxidermists fix it while or after it is drying.
Sorry, but that's not normal with my mounts. The hide simply wasn't thinned enough, and it sounds like a poor (or no) glue was used.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:03 AM

Definitely bad taxi work. I have mounts on the wall pushing 10 years old and they look just as they did the day they left the taxi. You can go to a new reputable taxidermist and have them recaped.