Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 want your thoughts! >

want your thoughts!

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

want your thoughts!

Old 01-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default want your thoughts!

I shot a fairly good size buck last year. The rack on it was a small eight. I guess after seeing all the big racks onthe archery forum,I never even reallythought aboutmounting it.....we'll, I have a nice photo of the deer in the field, but everytime I look at it I wish I had mounted it[] I didn't even do a euro on it[:@] Was looking at replica euro sculls to mount theantlers on too. This is really my biggest buck to date!

Has anyone had antlers that they had mounted on another buck? Is it possible? And did you have to shoot another one or get it from somewhere? Do you try to find a similair looking buck? To me the deer was an older one, looked to have a little grey around the eyes,that just had a smaller rack. I guess I could take thepic and have it looked at. But do you think it is really the same? Were you happy with it. Theantlerswouldn't be on the"original"buck. But would be better than just a cut scull/antlers on a plaque.Maybe I should juststay with some type of eruo. Can the antlers be removed from the scull cap and placed on another (real) scull. I would go for that if it is possible.

Just wanted your thought!
Thanks
cscrutch

Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: want your thoughts!

Using a replacement cape is quite common. Any good taxidermist could find you one, but obviously there will be a cost.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

cscrutch - where in IL are you?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

TSR6, pm sent.

Abount 35 miles NE of Bloomington, Il.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would look into getting buying a replacement cape and still having a shoulder mount made out of it.

If you truely regret not getting it mounted, I would take this route. No one will know but yourself. And as long as it is a trouphy in your eyes.

Congrats on the buck, just curious, how big was he?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Typical Buck

Zubba, As you can see not real big. I call him an urban buck, as I just hunt on the out skirts of town. Sorry the pictures aren't real clear. I took the photo off a picture I have. Being that small of a rack,I shouldn't of had my hands on the antlers

1st pic, me and deer
2nd pic, not a very good close up of face (age of deer?)
3rd and 4th pic, minnie me holding antlers
5th pic sitting on bench top

Can anyone guess the age of this deer. To me he looks to be gray around the eyes and down his snout. Would be nice to have an idea.
Thanks guys
cscrutch

Clicked wrong button..[:@]
Old 01-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

1st pic of my buck

Old 01-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

a picture as close as I could get...Just wanted to try and get a estimate on age...I see some grey around face.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

one ofminnie meholding iton a angle

Old 01-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

One more. So I guess you can give me some ideas which way to go. Of course I plan on getting a bigger one sometime[8D] but this is my biggest to date. Maybe try those euro replicas? Whats a cape go for??
Thanks again

Quick Reply: want your thoughts!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.