Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Leather repair

Old 11-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Spike

Default Leather repair

I know that this might not be the right place for this post but I hope you guys can help me with this.
I got an old leather shoulder rig that is tan leather and suede and would like to restore it, however there is scuffs and scratches as seen in the picture, and the leather is a bit stiff.

I have tried to use the kiwi brand mink oil (on the leather only) and it has helped make it a bit softer but did not remove the scratches, I want to know if there is a way to remove the scrapes and scuffs.

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2006, 09:18 AM

Default RE: Leather repair

I doubt it if you can get the scrapes off as they seem to have gone through the epidermis of the leather,Try saddle soap or you might want to consider dyeing it.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Spike

Thanks Alex, I would rather not dye unless it is the last resort, I heard about neetsfoot oil, do you think would work? and what would be the lightest dye color that you think would work?
Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Scratches are scratches. They can not be removed, only covered. No oil will help with removing them.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: M.Magis

Scratches are scratches. They can not be removed, only covered. No oil will help with removing them.
Maybe I did not correctly describe it, I thinkit should be considered discoloration -take a look at the photo and let me know what you think.
Thanks!
Old 11-11-2006, 07:35 PM

AS you can see the discolorotion are in teh higher parts of teh holster holder ?
This is from rubbing, this is natural and nothing to be ashamed of, Neatsfoot oil is only for softening leather, it will not remove the marks, while saddle soap can help the look of leather as well as conditioning it.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:35 PM

AS you can see the discolorotion are in teh higher parts of teh holster holder ?
This is from rubbing, this is natural and nothing to be ashamed of, Neatsfoot oil is only for softening leather, it will not remove the marks, while saddle soap can help the look of leather as well as conditioning it.