Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 To Repair or not repair >

To Repair or not repair

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

To Repair or not repair

Old 08-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default To Repair or not repair

I would like some professional opinions on weather I should repair the rack on my 04 Canandian whitetail ? As some of you may know I took a noce buck in 04 that has a right side drop tine ..the buck had been seen by a local about 10 days earlier and it had a simular drop tine on the left side but was briken when I took him ... should I have it repaired or not?

dd

Old 08-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To Repair or not repair

I see no sense in it.
How accurate do you think the repair will be first of all.
Second, I would want the buck to be as he was when taken.
Fighting is the nature of a buck and any broken tines, rubs, gouges and
scars should be represented as they are.
I have a 10 point on my wall right now with three of his points
snapped off and quite a few wounds to his face and neck that show.
That is how he was and always will be.
It's your buck and your choice.
There are those that could do it and make it look real too (But you will know it isn't)
Old 08-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

I see no sense in it.
It's your buck and your choice.
There are those that could do it and make it look real too (But you will know it isn't)
LB I am not quite sure what you mean when you say " But you will know it isn't" ..its not like I would be adding something that was not there originally...not like making a 20 inch neck 24 inches... it was obvious that there was a tinethere ...however as to how to make it perfectly like it was I guess that would be speculation as all I have to go on is the local who saw it and the scar on the left main beam ...

dd
Old 08-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't mean anything by it. If you had the broken point and put it back on that would be one thing. To speculate what was there and fabricate it seems pointless, (no pun intended). If I shot a buck of that caliber I would be satisfied with it. It seems like in spite of the bucks obvious trophy status that the missing point is a sticking point in your mind. Be happy! I would be if I was lucky enough to ever take a buck like that. But like I said, it is your buck so do what makes you happy.
Makes me think back to a huge buck I was seeing many years ago.By the timeI got a chance at him he had broken his whole left antler off. I let him walk because I thought it a waste to kill him. I wouldn't have been happy with the mount having a whole side missing. I never saw him again BTW.
Would you have letyour buckwalk if he had broken a whole antler off when your chance came? Maybe that will put the missing point into perspective for you. Feel lucky that the drop is the only point missing.
For me, if I am happy enough with a buck to kill it, I accept it as is. Otherwise it walks, and maybe it is better next year.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:16 PM

Personally, I would probably have it repaired. With it having been seen close to the time it was killed and confirmed that a point of substantial length was present, I believe I'd build it back. I took a nice eight here in AL. a few years ago that had broken off his G2 on his left side. I had just seen him a week earlier and that point was over 10 in. long. I mounted him without it, but after a few weeks decided to go ahead and repair the antler. He definitely looks alot better, in my opinion, with it the full length. I do have other deer mounted with broken tines that I've really never considered repairing, but that one just didn't look anywhere near as impressive without that 10 inch tine. Your deer certainly looks huge even without the extra drop, but I think it'd look alot cooler with it. That's my thoughts. It's your deer so it's your decision.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:50 PM

I agree with Livbucks.
The missing pointwasnt there when you shot him so why add it?

I shot a red stag last may. He had 'grown back'on one sidefrom the year before but I didnt even think adjust it to the way it 'was' before.

Then again - your choice.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a similiar deer and would rather have it as it was when I shot it.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Might Mite

I have a similiar deer and would rather have it as it was when I shot it.
Really MM ...please show us pics I would love to see it

dd
Old 09-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK..I'll post a pic...I have a nine point that I saw two weeks before I shot him. He was a very nice buck, but when I shot him, most of he points were busted off. My buddy said he could build the points back up, but I thought I'd leave it the way it was. I'll take a pic and post it.

PS: It isn't anything like the buck pictured if that is what you are thinking. Just a PA buck...nice for around here.