Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Deer Hide (need help) >

Deer Hide (need help)

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Deer Hide (need help)

Old 08-23-2006, 08:52 PM

Default Deer Hide (need help)

Last year afterI field dressed, skinned, and quarterd my deerI thought it would be a good idea to keep the hide and "attempt" to make a rug. I started by getting most of the flesh and junk off, I thencovered it insalt(Ithought it would be a good preserver)about 1/4 inch thick, rolled it up tight and stored it in an air tight ammo box. I forgot about it for 3-4 months. When I took it out it wasdamp from where the salt had drawn out all the rest of the fleshy gunk. I thought it would be good to let it set out all day and dry but that just made it ruff and stiff. Any ideas how to make it smooth and limp would be appreciated. And is there another way to go preserving wise?
Old 08-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Hide (need help)

Does that thing stink or what?
The purpose of salting is to draw out all the liquids. This can only work correctly when they are permitted to drain away.
Provided the hide is not spoiled, you need to rehydrate it and proceed to the pickle stage, then shave it, neutralize, tan, oil, break it, oil some more, break some more and finish by running a wire wheel on it for about a week. If the hair falls out in bunches or patches any time along the way(slip), it may be time to toss it and cut your losses. I did one recently. It came out good but I will never do another! Good luck anyway!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a link to the thread I authored about it awhile back:
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1576273
Old 08-24-2006, 02:25 PM

How do I rehydrate it and what is the purpose of that.. I am not familiar with any taxidermy terms so i do not know what the pickle stage is either. Also how short do you suggest shaving it. And what oils do you reccomend.
Thanks for all your help
Old 08-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uhm, shaving is the act of thinning the skin, not removing the hair.
Pickling is the act of chemically "cooking" the skin, same as making pickles in a way. The pickle will kill all bacteria and change the skin on a chemical level. I think you would be best served by buying a deer skin tanning kit. Go to www.mckenzietaxidermy.comand see if they have it on their website. If not, call them and ask for the kit with instructional video. You will need to buy a little bottle of Safetee acid to pickle it, I don't think it comes with the kit. Shaving will be tricky for you I am betting. You lay the hide over a "beam" or board and using a sharp knife, you shave off layers of skin until you get to the fibrous layer. You don't have to do it to perfection if you run a wire wheel on it as a final step. Roll up your sleeves and get ready for some serious work. If you are headstrong like me you will see it through. I know you could do it but I'm not sure you will be convinced you will be able to once you get started. Just dive in and do your best. You will learna fewthings if nothing else.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW....You could rehydrate it in a strong salt solution or, buy a relaxing agent.
I used McKenzie leather oil after the McKenzie tan step. I swear both products are one and the same. They smell like orange glo.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:36 PM

Thanks alot for all of your help.. I will try and keep in touch with you and let you know of the outcome..
Old 08-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found the link for McKenzies tanning kits:
http://www.mckenziesp.com/taxid_store/catalog_category.asp?CategoryID=%7B177ABB45%2DDB63 %2D4B60%2DAED8%2DDCDB40028BEB%7D&mscssid=MPQF7 5XX7TWJ8MFNEGXPHQE8SP1H8777