HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer Hide (need help)
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 04:39 PM
livbucks
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Hide (need help)

Uhm, shaving is the act of thinning the skin, not removing the hair.
Pickling is the act of chemically "cooking" the skin, same as making pickles in a way. The pickle will kill all bacteria and change the skin on a chemical level. I think you would be best served by buying a deer skin tanning kit. Go to www.mckenzietaxidermy.comand see if they have it on their website. If not, call them and ask for the kit with instructional video. You will need to buy a little bottle of Safetee acid to pickle it, I don't think it comes with the kit. Shaving will be tricky for you I am betting. You lay the hide over a "beam" or board and using a sharp knife, you shave off layers of skin until you get to the fibrous layer. You don't have to do it to perfection if you run a wire wheel on it as a final step. Roll up your sleeves and get ready for some serious work. If you are headstrong like me you will see it through. I know you could do it but I'm not sure you will be convinced you will be able to once you get started. Just dive in and do your best. You will learna fewthings if nothing else.