Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Tanned deer hide >

Tanned deer hide

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Tanned deer hide

Old 06-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tanned deer hide

I posted awhile back about some slip I was seeing when pickling a hide for my daughter. I finally finished it and wanted to post some pics. I am very pleased with the way it turned out and let me say that the hair is now extremely tight. I guess I worried over nothing. I used Safetee acid, McKenzie Tan, McKenzie leather oil and finished up by running a wire wheel over it to "suede" the leather. It is extremely soft and flexible and hangs like a blanket when you hold it. It does have an entry and exit broadhead hole that I have not sewed yet. I figure to rehydrate the hide around the holes and sew them tight at some point. My daughter is very proud of her treasure. She plans on sleeping under it on those cold winter nights. The hair is very pretty. I really don't want to say how many hours I put into it. They are MANY! I only want to do one of these in my life.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tanned deer hide

Another pic

Old 06-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

One more

Old 06-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Amen on the only once! I did a beaver once, I couldn't believe how much work it was. Yours turned out really good. Congrats
Old 06-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

That looks really nice! My Dad did one this winter, but he didn't thin it down enough to begin with so it is kinda stiff. Yours looks really good. Good Job!

What kinda broadhead left that big of a hole?
Old 06-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what broadhead was used. My butcher gave the skin to me. The holes were hardly visible when the skin was green. After I tanned it and it dried, The holes opened up from shrinkage. I thinned the skin pretty well but the wire wheel really took it to the next level. I bet your Dad could really improve his that way. Run it on the skin one direction, then switch direction and keep going. Get rather aggressive with it. It will get VERY fuzzy at first and fly in the air. Do it outside, it makes a hell of a mess. When the fuzzy look starts to go away and the skin gets smooth, you are done. The skin will get a whole lot more flexible then. If you see black spots, you are burning through and seeing the hair folicles. I'll warn you though...it takes a long time, but it is worth it in the end. It takes a skin that is hard and yellow and makes it soft and white.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:01 PM

looks like it turned out nice. I have tanned a few deer hides by handI agree its apain lol.It's a lot easier to just send them out to a tannery, but you get the satisfaction from doing it yourself when you tan on your own.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

VERY NICE
Old 07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Spike

Hi,
I have a deer hide that I have salted and frozen. What next? Does anyone have a tried and true pickling recipe? I have heard you can use vinegar? I really don't want to ruin this skin as they are not so easy to get in Australia!
Any help appreciated
Brian

Last edited by brian mcmurtrie; 07-02-2010 at 02:00 PM.