Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Im in trouble

Old 07-07-2006, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default Im in trouble

My father in law went to NM on a Mule deer hunt. Shot a decent 8 or 4X4, whatever we're call them now........I was gonna do a skull mount for him (ive gotten pretty good at it)........My dog found it and chewed the skull from the nose almost to the eyes.....GONE ! So I can't give it back to him like that. My wife and I just had a baby.........and the taxidermist want 100$ for a horn mount. I NEED SOME HELP.
I dont mind trying to do the horn mount myself, but I can't give him the horns back half azz you know.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Im in trouble

Go to http://www.mckenzietaxidermy.com and check out there resin skull mounts that whould save the day.

Rich
Old 07-07-2006, 08:20 PM

Do it likethe goodman you are, and youll be happier in the long run! Tell the father in law that you digressed to a moment of being a sh*thead and while in that state, the dog got after the skull. He'll be mad, sure, but life will go on (maybe not for the dog though). Then offer to get another real skull, and set his antlers, on pins, into that skull. A little blending at the bases underneath and bingo!, its done. If its a true horn mount, thats just a small amount of skull anyway. If you mean a skull mount, do like I said above. He will get over it. If not, tell him he never sees the grandchild again. See what a little leverage, ingenuity and assertiveness will do? Hey guy, good luck with that, and in the future, never leave someone else stuff out when theres dogs OR people around!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:45 PM

Resin skull will last forever anyways.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:21 PM

Do what Bill said.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:38 PM

Check out ebay - there are several auctions on-going with reproduction skulls designed to accomodate antlers. Some look pretty sharp. Search under: deer skull reproduction.