Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

omg help

Old 07-18-2006, 09:22 AM

Default omg help

Hi guys
I got my whitetail skull mount back last week and it was ruined, it was boiled to death the nose bones felloff of it and it has cracks through it and is puddyed together. Itwas done by a local taxidermist that I will not use again.What are my options beside sawing it off and making it a plaque mount?It is not a great buck but it has some special meaning to me so I wanted it to be more than just a plaque mount. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
Gene
Old 07-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: omg help

You can find a more reputable taxidermist and they can put it on a resin skull. Or, do as you say and cut it off.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:33 PM

Definately look for a better taxidermist and have them fix it up for you like M.Magis said.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:25 PM

That sucks go to a good taxi and get a resin skull.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:55 PM

Check out some of the taxidermist supply companies.. They sell replacement skulls.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:03 AM

Thanks guys I think I will do that. Is it possible for me to do this my self, I already have 100 dollars into this mess and I would rather keep the cost down on this replica skull replacing my damaged one. If you think a taxidermist should do it then what do you think a taxidermistwill charge to do this for me??? Thank you for the info!!
Gene
Old 07-19-2006, 08:44 AM

Reproduction European Skull Mounts
From taxidermist/sculptor Tab Hinton comes this unique new system utilizing the natural antlers on a reproduction skull. The reproduction deer skull is ready to use, finished in natural bleached bone color. The antler notch is similar to those found on whitetail mannikins. To use, simply attach the natural skull plate with Bondo, smooth over with sculpting epoxy, paint over the epoxy and attach the panel. No bleaching, no beetles, no mess, and no bad smell! Available in two sizes for smaller or larger deer. Also available in a complete skull cap with antler pedicels and threaded rod for attaching shed antlers without a skull plate. The finished panel is reproduced in urethane foam. It looks hand-carved, but is priced economically enough for antler-mount clients to afford. Skull panels available separately.

CodeSpeciesSizeItemDescriptionPrice
NSK-1WhitetailS-MSkullonly34.95
NSK-2WhitetailM-LSkullonly35.95
NPSK-2WhitetailS-MSkullwithPedicels34.95
NPSK-1WhitetailM-LSkullwithPedicels35.95
NSK-3MuleDeerM-LSkullonly36.95
NPSK-3MuleDeerM-LSkullwithPedicels38.95
NPELK-1ElkM-LSkullwithPedicels65.95
NPANT-1AntelopeM-LSkullwithPedicels37.95
NPCA-1CaribouM-LSkullwithPedicels60.95
NPMO-1MooseM-LSkullwithPedicels103.95

Gene, here is what it looks like not hard to do.. You can do it your self and save.. Good Luck
Old 07-19-2006, 04:41 PM

You might also want to check out ebay; there are a few on-going auctions for replica deer skulls. Search: deer skull reproduction.