Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 question for full timers >

question for full timers

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

question for full timers

Old 06-13-2006, 06:01 AM

Default question for full timers

If you could break it down into four catergories(fish, birds, small medium mammals, andlarge mammals) labeling one to four which gives you the most work and which gives you the least work. 1 being the most work. this is just something i'm doing for my own curiosity. thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question for full timers

Since this post has sat all day without reply..... I am not a full timer but I am friends with quite a few. Most of them either specialize, ie only do fish or ducksor mammals, but their are some that do it all. From my experience, mammals make up 80% of the work around me, now in FLA it might be the opposite. Even coastal NC might be higher, but around central NC it is mostly mammals.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:09 PM

Bass in particular are easy money, Fiberglass replicas are a pain, if you do your own molding as we do, 1500 plus replicas takes a lot of effort and personnel.
Deer heads are medium effort and do not bring as much money as they should , for the amount of work put into them, ducks are also not proffitable to me at least, never being able to do a duck in less than 7-8 hours.

The bread and butter for me as are freshwater fish.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:01 AM

Most of my work comes from deerheads and other large mammals. Next in line, would bewaterfowl. I've never mounted fish.There doesn't seem to be much of a demand for them around here, so I've never bothered. I get more work than I can do every year, so i really wouldn't have time to mount them anyway. By the way, I agree with you Alex. Deerheads don't bring as much money as they should.