Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Bear Hide ???

Old 05-31-2006, 02:35 AM

Default Bear Hide ???

Im expecting my bear hide back from the tannery soon & was wondering what suggestions you all might have for attaching some kind og backing to the hide??????? I am going to use it as a throw on my couch & as covers on bed occasionally !! What type backing & how to attach ???? Thanks in advance for your replys !
Old 05-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear Hide ???

I wasn't going to post on this one,but since no one else is..... I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, as a taxidermist I specialize in certain things, and a rugger specializes too. You can do it yourself but in the long run you may not be happy. I have heard of glueing and I have an industrial sewing machine that I have never used because there are other things to consider... ie what kind of filling are you gonna use? Just like a blanket has filling so should a bear blanket. Do you have access to felt large enough? I don't know how large your bear is but can you get it wide enough? If you glue it, what type of glue will last and stay pliable (I don't have a clue)? If you sew it, what type of thread will hold up and last ( I have caping thread loaded in my sewing machine, that I've never used)? Just like taxidermy, rugging has things that some know and some don't. I have seen bears that were never finished with backing. If you can afford it, do yourself a favor and have it professionally done? You did send it to a tannery, so you know there are differences in professional and DIY. I am not trying to be a smart alec but this is my opinion.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:56 PM

my advise get a book on taxidermy as making a rug is not as simple as it sounds.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:47 AM

NCTaxi thanks for the advise !That is why I posted the ? here because I wanted honest opinions & didnt want to mess up my bear hide !! Thanks Again !!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know how it turns out!