Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Balloon Necks

Old 01-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Balloon Necks

When I was younger and just started Taxidermy, everything was about having a BIG neck.Trying to makethe deer look physically bigger. Even if the neck wasn't that big, you could always stretch it an extra inch or two.

Taxidermy is still just a hobby for me. But nowadays I look at those mounts, and think; why did they stretch the neck so big. Personally I prefer the average mature sized necks(21-22"). I think it's easier to give it the relaxed look, and even better muscular detail. Ones with the 25" necks on a 170lb deer just don't look right. But doesn't this seem to be the trend? A lot of mounts are this way. Look on ebay, you'll see 26-28" neck, Canadian WT capes selling for $300-400. Obviously the public demands it.

What do you think?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Default RE: Balloon Necks

You are right. But, remember, those ebayers are collecting 25 inch capes to go on the mounts of the just as collectible 240 inch reproduction antlers. Then it DOES look to be in proportion. I mount alot of 19x24 and 20x25 bucks, thats just a heavy swell that many areas see. I also see mounts even in these threads, that are balloned like you say, with no true anatomical accuracy whatsoever. Its amazing what the public will settle for.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:37 AM

ORIGINAL: kshunter

When I was younger and just started Taxidermy, everything was about having a BIG neck.Trying to makethe deer look physically bigger. Even if the neck wasn't that big, you could always stretch it an extra inch or two.

Taxidermy is still just a hobby for me. But nowadays I look at those mounts, and think; why did they stretch the neck so big. Personally I prefer the average mature sized necks(21-22"). I think it's easier to give it the relaxed look, and even better muscular detail. Ones with the 25" necks on a 170lb deer just don't look right. But doesn't this seem to be the trend? A lot of mounts are this way. Look on ebay, you'll see 26-28" neck, Canadian WT capes selling for $300-400. Obviously the public demands it.

What do you think?
There is no possible way to stretch a neck more than and inch or 1 and half inch on a mount unless you add 2 inches on back by sewing back skin from another deer or the back skin of the same deer in order to match it.
21-22 inch necks might be normal sizes for you in your state in south Fla 141/2 is a huge deer LOL.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:04 PM

The majority of the deer that come into my shop are 120-160 class and I agree that 'pumped up' necks on these mounts look out of place. Whenever a customer asks for a 'rut' neck I tell him "Sure, I can do that but it's gonna make the rack look smaller." They usually say "Oh, well...do whatever makes it look good". Then I can go ahead and mount it on the correct size form, get good muscle detail, and put the ears back in a relaxed pose (wich I also think helps to make the rack look bigger).

I think the 'pumped up' trend probably started with some taxidermist using it as a selling point..."I can make your buck look bigger than XYZ Taxidermy down the street" sort of thing. Who knows? I'm just glad that most of my customers really want what's best for the mount.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:50 PM

I absolutly hate it whenI customer comes in and asks me to make the neck look bigger.I just want to give them a stupid look and tell them to go shoot a bigger deer.I also hate it when they say my deer is a big ol rutted up deer when the deer is bout average for around here at 7 1/4 x 18 x 20 x 22. I try and tell them that when the deer is dead all the muscles in the neck are relaxed and it makes the neck look bigger. Especially when It is laying flat on the ground. I'm not trying to make your deer look deadI am trying to bring it back to life.

Ok I am tired and can't put into words what I am thinking right now. might post more tomarrow. I am beat. Night