Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Crooked Necks

Old 09-01-2002, 10:25 PM
bigcountry

Default Crooked Necks

You know I read in Handloader how the ball expander pulls the neck crooked when resizing. So while loading some 270Win cartridges tonight with small base dies, I notice while spinning the resizer die, that the depriming pin would be off or not centered with middle of the die. Do you think this could be messing up my necks? Has anyone else noticed this with your dies? The more I reload with this brass, the more I notice my accuracy to be worse than when first using. I don't have those fancy measureing units to see how much it is out of round. What do ya think?

Old 09-02-2002, 04:52 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-02-2002, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crooked Necks

I've noticed roughly the same thing. Though I've never taken
measurements of the neck after resizing, if I'm using the ammo for anything but plinking, I trim the cases. I start with the shortest case and set the trimmer to take off just enough metal to make the end of the neck shiny all the way around then trim the rest of the cases to the same size.
I've noticed time and time again that the trimmer can bite on one side of the case and remove metal without taking metal off all the way around meaning that the case neck isn't perfectly square coming out of the resizing die. In other words, liek you said, the neck is being stretched unevenly.

I check all of the case lengths before trimming, if I find a case
that is slightly shorter or right at the minimum length before trimming, the case goes into my 'hodgepodge bin' to be loaded up as a plinking round.

Also, depending on the brand of die you use, the decapping pin can either be fixed as on a RCBS die or freefloating as on a Lee die. If it appears offcenter, and is a fixed type, I'm suprised it wouldn't break or jam since it might not want to aling with the flash hole while decapping. You might want to try replacing the pin to see if that makes a difference.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms... who's bringing the chips?
Old 09-03-2002, 06:28 AM
bigcountry

I have already complained to RCBS and they sent me a new one. Same deal. I am going to my smiths later this week and use it measurement setup to measure run out on these necks. If I find a great deal of deviation, I am going to start buying Forester Bonaza BR dies.

Old 09-04-2002, 05:53 AM
bigcountry

Another guy on another forum was suggesting I use my small base die without the expander ball, and use a Lyman M Die to expand the neck. He also suggested the Lee Collet die.

Old 09-16-2002, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Big country try redding dies...I have a 300 wsm and and set the shoulder back .02-.04 thousands(stoney point comparator) and have pretty low runout on the concentricity gauge.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:10 PM

BIGCOUNTRY,
The method I use to solve this problem starts with the use of a universal depriming die. This lets me clean primer pockets before tumbling cases. During resizing, with a case in the die,I raise the expander button until it touches the inside of the case. I lower the expander button about half the length of the case neck and lower the case until the neck is still in the sizing portion of the die, and on the expander button. Tighten the expander button stem and this should be the end of this problem. If the die is not aligned to the axis of the press ram, the entire case will still be misaligned. I hope that this is of some help. Good luck.

BigBob .30-06