Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Cracked Necks????? >

Cracked Necks?????

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Cracked Necks?????

Old 07-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cracked Necks?????

I am having a problem with cracked necks in my .25 WSSM cases. I had two testloads of 18 cartridges each and when I was finished I ended upwith six cases with cracked necks. Some hadsingle cracks and others had two cracks. One had three cracks. At this rateI will be going throughquite afew cases. Oh I forgot to say the cases were all new Winchester cases and one once fired win case.

I reload for my .300 WSM and have not experienced this problem with those cases. Is this something unique with the smaller cases?

I have been loading since thelate fifties and have not had this problem with any otherreloads. I have hadsplit military cases thatwere old (.30 Carbine ammo),butnever commereical or reloads.

What the hell is going on or am I doing something wrong withthese WSSM cases? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2008, 09:40 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Cracked Necks?????

I have not experienced this ever until I get to around 5-8 firings. Have you taken out you expander ball and measureing your sized case and then put the expander back in and then measured? It sounds like your sizer is overworking the neck. But it would have be alot. Have you tried any collet or bushing sizers?

Old 07-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take the rifle to a gunsmith and have your chamber measured. Good luck.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:07 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: handloader1

I would take the rifle to a gunsmith and have your chamber measured. Good luck.
You wouldn't have to do that. Any reloader should be able to measure a fireformed case shouldnt' they? Every reloader should have a set of head and shoulders gage along with calibers and even a set of mics.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some people have more money than others.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Spike

state cases bullets dies loadsrifle air temp were cartridges in the sun please let me know about new case preparation we once had a bad batch....dan
Old 07-20-2008, 10:22 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: handloader1

Some people have more money than others.
Man, its like 25 dollars. I have seen people go thru hours of playing around and troubleshooting when I came over with a tool and showed them in 5 min. Some people have more time I guess than others.

How much do you think a gunsmith with charge? Gas getting there? etc?

Old 07-20-2008, 10:24 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: rthook1

state cases bullets dies loadsrifle air temp were cartridges in the sun please let me know about new case preparation we once had a bad batch....dan
Holy cow, is that a sentence?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:13 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: rthook1

Holy cow, is that a sentence?
My canuckeese (grins, so don't get mad)is kinda rusty but let me try to translate.....

Can you tell me what cases, bullets, dies, loads, and rifle you are using?

What was the air temp?

Were the cartridges in the sun?

Can you tell me how to prepare new cases because we screwed some up one time.

I'd guess his name is Dan.

Just trying to help.........lol

Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

Most factory chambers are cut with .006-.008 per side--safety isssue I guess...that's alot of room around the neck..that's also alot of room that will be filled when the shot goes off and also alot of stretch..poor quality brass sometime will crack and especially after 2-4 firings... size some brass just enough to hold the bullet and see what happens..an 1/8 of an inch will do, I'll bet the brass doesn't crack.. I shoot all my factory varmint rifles like that, accuracy is outstanding, haven't had a case stick and haven't had any problems.

Quick Reply: Cracked Necks?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.