Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Mink Mount - Suggestions? >

Mink Mount - Suggestions?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Mink Mount - Suggestions?

Old 12-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mink Mount - Suggestions?

Hello Gentlemen.

This year I took my son hunting - on really his first deer hunt with me. In the middle of the day we squirrel hunted - on a hedgrow - and had alot of fun. After a while - we had a Large male mink come in - and I shot it.

We'd like to get it mounted - to remind of us of a real special hunt - I have it frozen now. I've never had an animal mounted before - I'd especaily like some tips on making sure its done right. Its wrapped in a plastic bag right now - is that good enough?

What form might be a good one?

Thanks
FH

Old 12-15-2005, 10:11 PM

Default RE: Mink Mount - Suggestions?

Wet the mink so he is sopping wet, and put him in a sealed plastic bag and freeze him...he will last for a long time that way. Ive been told Im wrong, the water will harm it. I usually ask why it lives in water, then? Being that wet when freezing helps it not dry out, of course.

Get in touch with a good taxidermist who knows well how to degrease AND descent the mink, remember, hes a mustelid, like a skunk. A very popular mount out of my studio is to mount him in a glass case on snow, at the waters edge, with ice, cattails and a small fish at his feet. I spike its hair with an acrylic to make it appear wet. Your taxidermist probably has some decent ideas as well. Good luck, and dont tell people you shot it.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mink Mount - Suggestions?

Thanks Bill, When I get it done - I'll post a picture back.
Both him and I cannot wait.

FH