Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope and Mount Suggestions >

Scope and Mount Suggestions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope and Mount Suggestions

Old 01-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scope and Mount Suggestions

I'm looking for a fixed power scope 2x or 4x for a Marlin guide gun 1895gs in 45-70 gov. I don't want to spend more than $175 out the door for it. Any suggestions on brands and models that I should look at?

Also I'd like to have a two piece scope mount but leupold doesn't make a two piece for the Marlin guide gun. What other companies out there make a quality set of mounts and rings?

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scope and Mount Suggestions

I have a Weaver 2 piece set ofmounts and rings for the Marlin in blue $30 for both shipped if interested NIB[email protected]
Old 01-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

As far as fixed scopes I admit to beingout of the loop in regards to todays offerings. However I still own 2 fixed 4x's that have been rock solid and a search on ebay may turn up something for you.One is a redfield wide angle 4x that I got with my first rifle and the secondthe first Leupold I bought - M8 4x.

As far as mounts Warne Maxima 2 piece bases and Quick Release rings would be a good fit. If not interested in quick release Warne also offer fixed maxima rings. I own/use boththe QR and fixed warnes,theyhave been rock solid.

FYI Link: http://warnescopemounts.com
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Skeeter,

Thanks for the tip on the rings and mounts. I'm going to give them a call later today to see where they are priced.

I've looked at the Leopuld FXII and everything is right except for the price and I would like another inch of eye relief. The scope has 4". I could easily see getting hit with it with a peppy load in the .45-70. Do you guys know of any other makers that make quality fixed power scope?

Also I noticed that the bells on the fixed power scopes are smaller. The Leupold is the biggest I've seen at 33mm. Anyone know why they make the bell smaller on the fixed power scopes? Why not keep it at 40mm to collect more light?

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any one have any thoughts on the Nikon Buckmaster 4x40.

Here is a link:

http://www.swfa.com/p-1852-nikon-4x40-buckmaster-riflescope.aspx
Old 01-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm discovering that shotgun scopes tend to be cheaper and offer more eye relief. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to use a shotgun scope?

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check into the Weaver K series. A 4 X 38 for about $125 @ SWFA should do the trick. With an exit pupil of 9.5 (it's more than the eye can "use"), wide field of view, and eye relief of about 3.25 inches you'll not have any issues.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the Warne one piece base. It will give you a lot more adjustment(top in photo). I do not like the 2 piece bases, they do not give a lot of adjustment. And remember that fixed power scopes are shorter.

I would avoid any scope that has friction adjustments. Especially for a big bore rifle. Tom.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tom,

How do I know if a scope has friction adjustments?

Tom
Old 01-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Normally the easiest way to tell is if there are audible clicks when you adjust the scope. Friction adjustment scopes are normally inaudible. Did you ever hear of someone "slapping" their scope with their wallet?? They do this to seat the crosshair in the friction adjustment scope. Positive click adjustment moves the crosshairs the exact same amount with every click. Or otherwise known as "Repeatability".

This is a well kept secret in the scope world. It is much cheaper to build a friction adjustment scope. Some cheap scope mfrs. have even went so far as to add a "clicker" to their adjustment rings, but still have friction type adjustment. Tom.

Quick Reply: Scope and Mount Suggestions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.