Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Tanning Deer Hide (Need Help Fast) >

Tanning Deer Hide (Need Help Fast)

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Tanning Deer Hide (Need Help Fast)

Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Tanning Deer Hide (Need Help Fast)

I'm using a Lutan-F from vandykes and it says not to soak the hide for more than the recommended time. The problem is the time to take it out of the solution is tomorrow morning, right when I have to go to work. The next step is to soak it in water and rub the oil in it I think. Can i take it out of the lutan and leave it in water or will this ruin the hide? I'm not sure what to do. Leave it in the Lutan, which it says not to do. Leave it in water. Or take it out of lutan and let it sit and probably dry. Anyone help me.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:47 PM

Default RE: Tanning Deer Hide (Need Help Fast)

Guys, this stuff is easier then you make it. Just leave it in the pickle until you can dedicate the time needed to see the tanning process through. See, thats simple! Good luck.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:54 PM

Well I did, I was supposed to have tomorrow off, but work changed plans and I now have to work tomorrow. You shouldn't assume that we're all idiots around here.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:40 PM

You can leave it in the pickle as Bill said or take it out and put it in a plastic bag and refrigerate over night and then proceed with the next step.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:58 PM

This is too funny. This is what we get for trying to reassure guys that this is easy, and not to sweat it. Based on what little there was for me to go by,I gave you an honest accurate answer, and you come back with more details which changes how Id help you, and you tell ME not to assume things, and to top it off, YOU assume Im calling you an idiot, which I did not.How in the heck would I knowyou got called into work? For what its worth, just pulling it from the tanning solutionwont be enough, as the tan will still workthe skin, bonding to the skin and making it tight, or over-tanned. The only thing I assumed is that you were honest in your request for some help, and that you probablywere new to this type of tanning.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:08 PM

Whatever B.Y. I came here to look for help, if you are not willing to help a guy out, then why post. You insinuated that I was dumb for not timing my tanning out to a more convenient time, well I tried and it didn't work out like I thought, so I needed some advise. Thats why I came here. Usually guys in other forums are more than willing to help out regardless of the circumstance, but there are always one or two who feel the need to put down people for their questions. Its people like you who ruin good forums.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paco - where the h--- did that come from???? Bill gave you an honest answer based on the question given. If you took that as insinuation, seems like you're a little touchy. I thought he gave you what you wanted. Bill is a great taxidermist who has helped literally thousands of taxidermist, he judges for comps. writes articles for the trade mags and takes time out of his day to answer questions on a few web sites. Man, chill out. Sometimes things come across the computer the way you expect the answer, meaning you may read it one way and I read it another. Maybe you were expecting to be ridiculed and the way you read it was wrong. I read it and couldn't understand why you got upset.
Old 12-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

FYI, Bill has helped more people on this forum, involving taxidermy, than anyone. I read the post above, and interpreted it in a different, non-offensiveway. We're all just lucky he doesn't charge $20 a question
Old 12-22-2005, 09:04 PM

Its folks that jump peoples sh*t that ruins forums. Youre way off base here. Regardless of how many guys Ive helped in these sort of sites, (and thanks, you guys, for pointing that out, Im flattered!) theres always a reply like yours, Paco. It is YOU, sir, who feels a bit awkward and has asked for help. If you really ARE sincere, try going back and rereading my answer to you, this time without feeling like you goofed, which I didnt think you did, or that I was answering in a condescending tone, which I wasnt. See? Nice post, wasnt it? I was simply downplaying the situation so you wouldnt feel as though you screwed anything up, as too many in our field lead you beginning guys to believe that this is all rocket science, which of course, it is not. Also, I did not insinuate that you were dumb, but I did insinuate...that the skin could be left in a pickle, as that is a safe place for it,so you could time your tanning process accordingly. It was only YOU who knew it was already in the tan, and it was only YOU who knew you had to go to work, not me. And the real kicker of it all, I once knew a very nice man whom we all referred to as Paco, who passed away, and your online name caught my eye.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Bill. If they know more, than the people who are answering there questions, then they shouldn't ask the question and waste all this time with there bull____.

Quick Reply: Tanning Deer Hide (Need Help Fast)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.