Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 taking care of mounts?? >

taking care of mounts??

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

taking care of mounts??

Old 10-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default taking care of mounts??

i have a squirrel and a wild browntrout at the taxidermist........both should be done within a few months......and i want them to last forever.......and be passed on.....i want to take good care of them....but dont really know how......i want them to last and always look good.....my fish taxidermist was an artist before he got into taxidermy....and that guy can PAINT...i cant wait..the fish should look awesome.......and the guy that got my squirrel had one on the wall of his showroom.....and it looked GREAT.......ill never go back to him......its going on 2 years...and he adds time every time his time is up.......ahh a year......years up..plus a good couple months...ahhh august...called the other day...ahh a month or so.........it better look awesome when hes done.......it was in perfect condition when he got it........shot with 7 1/2 shot at 30yds or so...no damage to it at all.......it better look great or hes redoing it QUICK! lol.....but do i got to do anything to keep the mounts looking good??? i think the squrrel is going to be freeze dried?......he said he had 30 some squirrels "in there being done" so i assume its freeze dried.......and the fish is going to be skinned and put on a hand made mold i believe......not sure how fish skins preserved....he told me but i forget......and he will paint it when its done.....cant wait....but what do i do to take care of them once they are here?? i think im bringing both upto college....or atleast until my room in the new house is done........right now i really dont have a room at home.....i hung a few deer skulls and a turkey fan mount i did on the basement wall....nice and dry down there...didnt want bugs or possibly mice if the house had any to get my mounts...and told my family not to touch them till i take care of them later....the cabel guy pounded the wall so hard he knocked off a buck skull mount....and totally ruined his whole nose......i was and still am jacked.......i wanted to have a taxidermist and write me up an outragous bill and send it to the cabel company......and my mom then took them down and put them on a table.....and the cat decided to sleep on my turkey fan for a month now...and i have to go over every feather and straighten it out and everything!!!!! so i may bring them up here till my room is done.......dont want anything to ever happen to them......but how doi go about taking care of them?? anything special i need to do? put on them? cleaning?? percautions?? thanx
Old 10-11-2005, 08:34 PM

Default RE: taking care of mounts??

Just keep them dusted and away from humidity such as open windows and they should last forever.

Humidity is the enemy of fur and will cause rot.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing last forever. the furry critters i use furniture spray was on them
Old 10-13-2005, 10:17 AM

Ummm, Once a squirrel or a fish is mounted their isNO redoing it. So if he screws it up their is no way to fix it. I hope the taxidermist hasn't left that squirrel in the freezer the whole time he has had it. It will be one heck of a job skinning it,due to freezer burn. They have realy thin skin and are easily freezer burned if left in the freezr to long. They make forms for the squirrels soI don't think it will b freeze dried unless he specificly said so. Just as easy toskin mount it in my opinion.