Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Mounting squirrels and rabbits? >

Mounting squirrels and rabbits?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Mounting squirrels and rabbits?

Old 08-22-2005, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mounting squirrels and rabbits?

Would it be more cost effective to mount a squirrel myself or have a pro do it. I've seen and heard on here about do it yourself kits? How much would I expect to pay for a full squirrel mount? Im hoping to have atleast one mount of every game I kill, and I figured I would start small.

Now, on to rabbits....Can these be mounted? Besides freeze drying? I don't ever recall seeing or even hearing about a rabbit mount? How much would I expect for a rabbit mount, if its possible.

Thanks,
Lance
Old 08-22-2005, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Mounting squirrels and rabbits?

Depends what you want it to look like.

A taxidermist has many years of experience and can produce a life like squirrel or rabbit mount, I don't think someone who has not mounted one ever can replicate what a taxidermist can do, after you do 40 or 50 then they will start to look descent.

I get $180 for squirrel and about the same for a wild cotton tail Rabbit.

Give it a try.

Not sure where you are what they go for.
Good luck.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was in the same situation.....but after reading about taxidermy...by the time i had the tools and knowledge i could paid to have it done RIGHT.........my squirrel is at the taxidermist........rare colored grey squirrel.......i think i am paying 135? i dont know....been almost 2 years...and if he turns it back to me and it dont look good its goin back.......im getting my money from him...he either rushes work....or it comes out looking beautiful.....i didnt know any of this at the time......saw his squirrel mounts...looked awesome.....yep do mine....told me about a year........caught a trout i wanted mounted....shopped around...did my homework....and got to know the guy i picked...and he knows the guy i took the squirrel too.....and said thats how he is......works on deer and expensive mounts first.......and takes forever to do small stuff.....my fault...hope its worth the wait though....but i think it would be easier to mount a deer then a squirrel.......rather have something big to work on then something so small.........taxidermy will hopefully become a hobby of mine after college.........takes time to learn though......i wouldnt ruin any good fur that i WANTED on the wall though...like my rare squirrel color....so id say if you really want to learn and do it for a hobby for yourself maybe family/friends ect...id say invest in it and learn...dont start on anything good...i never did it but id think its something that takes practice and alot of it......have buddys ect keep skins and such for you to practice on.......but if you just want a few things mounted and dont have the will or time to learn id justpay for it......
Old 09-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

If you are just interested in a finished mount, pay the taxidermist. If you want to try your hand, order a kit or the supplies you need and give it a whirl. Initially, it will probably look rough at best, but you can always reuse the form/eyes and try again. If it is a prize: Rare color, etc... have a taxidermist do it. Practice with unremarkable animals. Squirrels are tough skinned and probably easier to work with. Rabbits have thin skin that is easily torn, but longer fur to hide stitching etc... I'm not a taxidermist, but messed with it a bit years ago. Would like to really get into it now...but for the time... I've seen some excellant work and those taxidermist are both craftsmen and artisits in my book. For alot of us, it is cost prohibitive to get much work done, but for the time and skill involved, taxidermists are not by any means over paid!