Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

squirrels and rabbits?

Old 09-27-2002, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default squirrels and rabbits?

i've heard that its best to wait for the first frost to hunt rabbits. supposively the first frost kills all of the weak rabbits. is this the same with squirrels? i'd like imput on this. if it isn't then i might go squirrel hunting tommorow. thanks

jjoel

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 09-28-2002, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: squirrels and rabbits?

ive always heard to wait for the frost to take the leaves down and drops most of the jagurs where the rabbits hide and make it easier to see them and get them out....never heard it kills them...if it was rat season here id be out right now crackin at them!

Old 09-28-2002, 11:06 AM

If you have a lot of warbles in squirrels its best to wait for a frost, this will kill off the warbles.
Old 09-28-2002, 05:15 PM

What I heard down here in Louisiana, is that the frost and several good freezes gets rid of the WOLF in rabbits. As far as the tree rats go, next weekend is opening weekend, and I will be there.
Swamp
Old 09-30-2002, 08:23 PM

I've only seen warbles once in 7 years of hunting. I eat them when the season starts. When I did see them, I didnt hunt anymore til the frost came. This year is fine. Thats either a myth or a story someone told you about the rabbits dying off. Same with the squirrels. The strong and weak survive.

Squirrel Master
Old 10-07-2002, 09:38 PM
Typical Buck

what the heck is a warbel

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 10-08-2002, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Warbles, Worbles, Wolves or Wolf worms (there may be other names depending on where you live) are the larva of a fly. The fly lays an egg in an open wound or in the nose or other natural opening and the egg hatches. The larva grows until it is ready to change into a fly and then works its way through the skin to the outside. The first hard frost kills the flys that lay the eggs and the problem goes away until next season. The larva are not harmful to you, remove them when you skin the rabbit or squirrel and cook as usual, no problem. They are disgusting to look at but harmless. Go to any farm in the summer time and you will see them on the backs of cattle that have been exposed to flys (large round lumps on the backs). Go hunting and have a good time, eat what you kill.

Coastie
"Count the day lost whose low, descending sun
is not, in part, obscured by powder from my gun,"
(Anon)