Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Target Archery
 How are you groups? Consistancy. >

How are you groups? Consistancy.

Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

How are you groups? Consistancy.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How are you groups? Consistancy.

I know shooting at known ranges isn't a true testament to how good of a 3D shooter you are, but I was curious. Those of you who are solid shooters (or even excellent shooters), what do you think is a benchmark of consistant excellent shooting group wise? What size groups at 30yds consistantly? What size at 40? 20? I was in a groove for a while where I could hit the morrell black dots about 18/25 times at 30yds. I don't group shoot at 30, but at 40, I can usually avg about 2.5-3" Now, I don't think I'm near as good as most, and I'm not happy with this shooting, but I was curious what kind of consistancy you guys get at these yardages? I just want some benchmarks to see if I can progress and improve.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How are you groups? Consistancy.

Honestly, right now, I'm afraid to shoot groups at 20yds. I'm shooting BETTER than I ever have. At 40yds, which is where 60% of my shooting happens, I'd say I average a 2" group, maybe sometimes 3". It honestly depends. However, I honestly believe where I shoot one eye open my groups suffer a little, but my 3D game is solid. I don't know if that theory holds water or not, but it makes sense to me.

We had our last outdoor 3d of the year last weekend and here is the top 10 from our class

30 targets, counting 12's.

1. Matt Millard 332
2. Johnathan Harrison 314
3. Tim Taylor 284
4. Chris McCarter 281
5. Tyler Hughis 268
6. Eddie Hall 267
7. Trevor Smith 262
8. James Viers 256
9. Nathan Hall 255
10. Todd Miller 253

And being the last shoot of the year....it wasn't easy. AND I shot 2 8's. 14's were also in play if you had the guts to shoot for them [8D]. I was shooting good enough that I shot at 5 I believe, and I hit 5.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, Matt. Very good shooting. I don't know if I will ever be able to hit 2" consistent groups at 40yds, but I'll keep trying. My 30yd shots were excellent the past two weeks, and this week, something is off. 20yds, I won't even bother shooting groups, although I can be off at times at 20, I'm getting very consistent at that range.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

Thanks, Matt. Very good shooting. I don't know if I will ever be able to hit 2" consistent groups at 40yds, but I'll keep trying. My 30yd shots were excellent the past two weeks, and this week, something is off. 20yds, I won't even bother shooting groups, although I can be off at times at 20, I'm getting very consistent at that range.
I have seen you shoot with your old bow fool. You can do this esp with the new 101. I think you are being modest.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

ORIGINAL: MGH_PA

I have seen you shoot with your old bow fool. You can do this esp with the new 101. I think you are being modest.
Thanks for that, Ben. You guys certainly are some tough shooters to go against, and I believe you're hitting the black of a deer's eye at 40yds, so I've got some work to do[8D]