Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Consistancy problems? >

Consistancy problems?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Consistancy problems?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Consistancy problems?

I have been having some consistancy problems with my bow. I consider myself a pretty good archer and have shot bow for 5+ years so I know what im doing. But lately ive been having problems with my bow being "off". Like the other day I had it hitting perfectly dead on at 20 yards, hitting x's then this week its shooting 3-4 inches to the left. I have been concentrating alot on my form and anchors and I am doing every thing the exact same every time. Picture the shot in my mind, concentrate on the spot I want to shoot, draw, bend arm, anchor, form proper grip and slowly squeze the trigger. I am thinking it could be something with the bow?? String stretching, etc... Oh and the bow is a martin bengal pulling 63 lbs. shooting expensive carbon express arrows.

Thanks,

Die Hard
Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 PM

Default RE: Consistancy problems?

do you remember what you were wearing??? like a sweat shirt or long sleeve shirt....the string getting caught on your sleeve will move it every direction...and another thing you prob do, but i try to mark every little thing that is able to move with a pencilto make sure that nothing has moved on me like rest, sight,..ext???
Old 07-07-2008, 06:02 AM

Give the bow a good looking over. Make SURE everything is tight, and eliminate the possibility of something being loose and moved. Check for cam lean and limb twist, but I don't think you'll find either one of those.

I highly suspect bow torque. Does your sight have a level and do you use it? Torquing the bow will cause left/right impact.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:41 AM
bigcountry

Generally, what I find in a situation like this, is the form/stance/grip has changed. Most of the time string stretch will change move an arrow 4" to the left.

And poeple refuse to believe it, including myself.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Generally, what I find in a situation like this, is the form/stance/grip has changed. Most of the time string stretch will change move an arrow 4" to the left.

And poeple refuse to believe it, including myself.
that is what happened to me spot on. without knowing it i was gripping my bow a litle bit different which caused me to shoot off.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not that it isn't possible, but string creep is something that usually will change over time, not all at once. What I would suggest is playing around with the draw length a bit. It could be that, as much as you try to use consistency in your form, the bow might be off just enough that your form does vary a little bit, even though you don't feel it. Try shortening it about 1/4" and see if this helps. If not then try going 1/4" longer and shooting for a while. Sometimes it only takes 1/8" to throw things out of whack. It's attention to details such as this that can make a huge difference.

If you mess around you might find what we refer to as "the sweet spot" and everything starts to gel real nicely. If you findit then that's when you dig out the tape and measure and mark everything on that bow so you can visually check for ny changes down the road, and know just how the bow was set up to your liking.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a loose site to me.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

bow hunter- I was wearing a t-shirt both days so it wasnt that but I know what you mean ive had my string catch on my coat in the winter and it throws the arrow way off.

Mobow- Torqing my grip? I was at the archery shop a couple weeks ago and we paper tuned my bow and we never did get it shooting bullet holes. Every thing we tried left the same tear low and right. We shortened my release, moved my drop away a bunch and tried several differant grips but all left the same exact tear. He then told me to shoot a group and I put 3 touching at 20 yards so he figured it was good enough.

I will tighten every thing up real good and hope that fixes the problem but if it doesnt its fine cause im using my recurve this year instead but it would be nice to get that straightened out.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 PM

I had a problem today as well. I shot yesterday andhit the spot every time i pulled the triggerbut I did have some trouble out of my release so I shot with my backup today and shot about 5 - 6" high at 20 yards with every shot! This release is a bit longer than my other one and it made the draw length a bit too long for me.... could that have been my problem or is it possible that I could have a bigger problem? Thanks for any insight
Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you've hit on something improtant there, practise with the backup before you need it.

Quick Reply: Consistancy problems?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.