Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Trigger tension

Old 03-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trigger tension

Light pull or heavy pull? I've never experimented with it until the last couple of weeks and I can't tell which is better or worse. What is the general consensus?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Trigger tension

All I can say is......my Carter is set like it came....which is "heavy". I like it....because I can "pre-load" on the trigger a little before it actually goes off. The Matts can tell you what that poundage is......I just know I like it

On my hunting release.....it's SUPER light....which I like for that application.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like it real heavy for targtesand just heavy for hunting.I still like to set my finger on the trigger and when time to squeeze,I can.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like my releases, heavy, and in the case of a backtension, pretty tight. With a backtension, and any release, it's all about shot timing.

Some people will shoot a click in their backtensions to aid with shot timing. They can roll to the click and then start their shots. For me, I don't need the click, I just keep pulling until either one of two things happens; The release goes off, or I go past my shot and I'll let down.

I've gotten to the point now, I've got an "internal clock" and I have a window where my shot "should" go off, and if it doesn't, I'll let down and then start everything over.

For me, I haven't shot a trigger very much in 4 months. I honestly can't shoot a wrist strap anymore, I punch it VERY badly. I'm going to have to get a thumb trigger of some sort to hunt with this year.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Matt/TN-

Is a backtension release a cure for trigger punching? If so what is a economical brand to look for, (stephanie is getting into this stuff and I have to pay for two people to play[8D])?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Backtensions are great releases but you DEFINATELY need to find someone who knows what they are doing when you start shooting it, to help instruct you. I'm constructing a thread as we speak on a crash course to back tension. Keep an eye out for it in the bowhunting section.

EDIT:I didn't answer your question thefirst time around. I would personally check archerytalk and try to pick up a used one there.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just get ready for some nose bleeds... J/K............hopefully
Old 03-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

tru ball ultra 3 is a great little bt for around $60.00

Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

I might look into one in the near future. Thanks for the info and I'll be looking for that thread.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back tension releases scare the hell out of me.

I've never used one because I don't think I have enough balls to stand there and punch myself in the nose as hard as I can over and over until I get it right.

It just sounds like a Jackass episode waiting to happen.