Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Target Archery
 Besides ATA....What's the advantage? >

Besides ATA....What's the advantage?

Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Besides ATA....What's the advantage?

Old 03-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Besides ATA....What's the advantage?

Besides ATA being longer......what's the advantages a "Target" bow holds over "other" bows?

What are people talking about when they mention a __flex (de or re?) riser? Why is that preferred?

What else?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Besides ATA....What's the advantage?

Reflex/Deflex/Straight risers basically apply to where the throat of the grip is compared to the pivot point of the limbs.

As an example, thePSE Money Makerbelow has adeflex riser, with the throat of the grip being in front of where the limbs connect to the limb pockets:

The X-Force LD has a straight riser:

And the X-Force has a VERY reflexed riser:

If given the same limb length and angle, the deflex will traditionally decrease your power stroke (making it more forgiving but slower), but also with the deflex riser will typically settle down faster after the inititial draw/anchor sequence, and also will be more forgiving of any twitches or bad shot execution.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

And it's not just the ATA length itself making the bow more steady that's the entire advantage.......the longer ATA lengths are much more user friendly with repsect to geometry and form. It's much easier to find a good upright posture and still maintain your anchor references with the shallow string angle of a long ATA bow.
I've come to realize that at 6'3" I almost NEED a 40" bow to get a proper form fit.

These longer neutral or deflexed riser bows also have a different weight distribution for the most part which puts the majority of the weight above but also (like in the case of my Constitution) BEHIND your hand. This weight distribution patern makes the bare bow want to roll TOWARD you at rest. This allows better compatibility with longer target style stabilizers and sighting systems without overpowering the fall of the bow in a forward direction.
In other words you don't need as much BACK weight and can use heavier or longer stuff out front and still wind up with a bow that doesn't want to "dive".

Longer 'Target" bows also generally have a higher brace height.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

1 more advantage of a deflex riser is it is more difficult to get the limb tips to move as compared to a reflex riser.This makes for a more stable and harder to torque bow.

It has been my experience that longer bows have the vertical center closer to the arrow as well.This makes for a more forgiving shooter as well.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

And it's not just the ATA length itself making the bow more steady that's the entire advantage.......the longer ATA lengths are much more user friendly with repsect to geometry and form. It's much easier to find a good upright posture and still maintain your anchor references with the shallow string angle of a long ATA bow.
I've come to realize that at 6'3" I almost NEED a 40" bow to get a proper form fit.

These longer neutral or deflexed riser bows also have a different weight distribution for the most part which puts the majority of the weight above but also (like in the case of my Constitution) BEHIND your hand. This weight distribution patern makes the bare bow want to roll TOWARD you at rest. This allows better compatibility with longer target style stabilizers and sighting systems without overpowering the fall of the bow in a forward direction.
In other words you don't need as much BACK weight and can use heavier or longer stuff out front and still wind up with a bow that doesn't want to "dive".

Longer 'Target" bows also generally have a higher brace height.
I'm almost amazed at how much you've learned in the last couple of years, Matt. Might I also say you a pretty articulate.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm almost amazed at how much you've learned in the last couple of years, Matt. Might I also say you a pretty articulate.
I told ya, I'm not just another pretty face.