Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Youth taken advantage of in PA under A/R >

Youth taken advantage of in PA under A/R

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Youth taken advantage of in PA under A/R

Old 03-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Youth taken advantage of in PA under A/R

I've spoken with a few PA hunters who have reported that youth hunters have been taken advantage of by older hunters in attempts to get around legal bucks under A/R.

They've said that hunters with youths in their parties have shot bucks under the legal size and have the youth tag it since they can legally be excluded from the restrictions.

Have any of you PA hunters seen this?
Old 03-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Youth taken advantage of in PA under A/R

Sadly yes....I was listening to all the chatter on my radio when I heard a father radio his father about the whereabouts of his own son....he then said he just shot a 4 point and needed the boy to tag it.....the next day I heard them on the radio again and found the channel and radio'd them....saying hey it's the namehere and namehere poaching show....they denied it and the boy claimed to have shot it and I said boy don't have your dad make a liar out of you...I caught some slack and I ended it with "we'll just discuss it when the PGC gets here" and the radio went silent....hopefully they learned.

I'd bet in the world of slob rifle hunters (not all) it happens more than is realized.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Been happening for years with doe permits also. Many wives around here get doe and never set foot in the woods
Old 03-06-2006, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sadly, this is nothing new.I have heard of fathers taking their kids and wives with them, just so they could use the extra tags first, and keep on hunting alone after that. It is called party hunting and is illegal in PA, obviously.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's amazing how far people will go just to get extra tags. I spoke with a guy who would go out and harvest his buck. He would then tag it legally for the ride home in case he was stopped by a PGC officer. Once he got it home he would butcher it and put it in the freezer. After the evidence was gone he would report that he "lost his license" and get a brand new one issued with no questions asked. He said he did this year after year and the only time it wouldn't work is if he was checked by a warden with his deer at which point he would have to send his tag in or get fined. Unbelievable !![:@]
Old 03-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Son of a *****, that takes balls!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:33 PM

It doesn't surprise me at all. From as far back as I can remember, almost every single hunter that I know has illegally tagged deer in one way or another, and still do. Misuse of tags have always been a pet peeve of mine.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've seen it happen with does quite a few times. Therewas a guy who hunted in my party who has his wife get liscence 2 but she never steps foot in the woods. Once we all figure out what was going on we got rid of him. He's not welcome on our land anymore. No one has ever seen him use his wifes tags so theres no way anyone could do anything about it. It's just the fact that he was doing it. The other year my uncle shot a spike mistaking it for a doe we were all extremly proud of him for what he did with the deer. He left and went straight to the game commission office and paid the fine. Thats the way it should be if you screw up you should man up to it and do the legal thing.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: deerslayer223

i've seen it happen with does quite a few times. Therewas a guy who hunted in my party who has his wife get liscence 2 but she never steps foot in the woods. Once we all figure out what was going on we got rid of him. He's not welcome on our land anymore. No one has ever seen him use his wifes tags so theres no way anyone could do anything about it. It's just the fact that he was doing it. The other year my uncle shot a spike mistaking it for a doe we were all extremly proud of him for what he did with the deer. He left and went straight to the game commission office and paid the fine. Thats the way it should be if you screw up you should man up to it and do the legal thing.
I kind of stunned they made him pay a fine. Normally, in cases where the hunter is proactive and honest, they simply give him a "no-no" discussion, and at best make him pay a court fee ($35 or so).
Old 03-07-2006, 02:10 PM

I guess I just hang out with a different group...no poaching allowed. I have heard of it happening, but have never seen or heard anybody admit toany tag swapping.

ChuckS

Quick Reply: Youth taken advantage of in PA under A/R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.