Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Lab doesnt want to give the bird up?? >

Lab doesnt want to give the bird up??

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lab doesnt want to give the bird up??

Old 02-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lab doesnt want to give the bird up??

I have a pheasant dummy that i use to work with my 11 month old lab with, he retrieves very,very well, but he doesnt want to give it up right away, he comes right to me but then, he will run circles around me. Then he will trot out a few yards and come back, and its like i really have to keep encouraging him to where he will come in grabbing distance and then he will sit and drop the bird!! What gives?? What can i do to help break this habit?? I know i need a e-collar just cant afford it yet. Any suggetions until then. Also, he loves to carry the bird in his mouth when i take him on walks, i use to let him do it cuz he just begs for it and keeps jumpin up like a mad man, is this maybe the problem with him not wanting to give it up?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:46 PM

Default RE: Lab doesnt want to give the bird up??

Turkey Fan

I take it he has not been force fetched?
If you are inexpirenced with the FF training, it is best left for a trainer to handle. That has the proper tools. If you do not have the means of hiring a trainer, there are plenty of books and videos with FF techniques that you can get at the library. Study up! Do your homework and take something from each book that will work best for your dog!

Your other problem with the dog coming and going in circles.
Try taking him out in the yard, with a check cord. Do some short retrieves, use the cord to bring him promtly back to you side, step on the cord to keep him there and firming give you release command GIVE, DROP, what ever it may be and remove the dummie from his mouth.
I 'd stop letting him caring birds around atleast untill you get him to retrieve the way you want !
Old 02-10-2005, 05:05 PM

I wouldn't let him ever just carry around the dummy. He needs to know that the reason he gets the bird in his mouth is to bring it to you. Also when you have him on the check cord I would praise him only when he gets to you and you can get a hand on him. This way the only way he gets praise is when he is all the way to you. I also would praise him a little when he is close to you before you take the bird. Once you have the bird I would give another quick praise then move on.

I think this lets the dog know that the action that gets him the praise is when he brings you a bird.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Rash get him FF and CC ASAP. Sounds like his OB work needs work as well. I would not go any further in his training until those issues are cleared up.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

As the others have suggested :
1. Solidify Obedience
2. Force Fetch

The best training guide for FF is "Smartfetch", by Evan Graham, and the best place to buy it is from www.coonriverkennels.com

From your post, it sounds as though your ARE NOT following a good training program (book-tape) Right?

[b]You need to be following a PROVEN training Program ! ! ! ! ! [/]
Old 02-10-2005, 08:31 PM

Check cord to make him come back even thought he doesn't want to come even though you may have to drag him to you praise him for coming. Now if he doesn't want to release the bird ear pinch. When you pinch the ear tell the dog give once he gives release the pressure of the ear pinch. I f that doesn't work I will shove the bumper/bird down his throat and his gag reflexes will take over and I will say give andthey end up releasing be consistant.