Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 GSP Pup... How much do I feed this beast? >

GSP Pup... How much do I feed this beast?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

GSP Pup... How much do I feed this beast?

Old 02-03-2005, 11:18 AM

Default GSP Pup... How much do I feed this beast?

I just got an 8wk old GSP... she will eat about as much as i put out. How much should i be feeding this little pig? I figured that about 1/2 a cup 3 times a day is good but???
Old 02-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: GSP Pup... How much do I feed this beast?

Go with the recommended dosages on the bag. If the pup still seems hungry then I would give it a little more....as long as it doesn't start to look fat.

My younger GSP (4 yrs old now) would eat and eat and eat when he was younger (and still does) and he was always very skinny looking. Right now, I feed him two coffee cans of dry dog food and a can of "soft" dog food. Sometimes he even eats more! And he isn't even close to being fat......he's just a monster! I run my dogs everyday for a few minutes though, so he is constantly active and burning off any excess fat that he might accumulate. Hope this helps!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:39 PM

I have a gsp pup as well (he's almost 5 months) and I fed him the recommended amount on the back of the container, in this case it was 1.5-2 cups 3 times a day for the first 3 months. I just went with that and didn't have any problems. as they get older you will need to feed more. I'm now feeding about 3 cups 3 times a day. I think I got lucky with my pup, he only eats when he's hungy no matter how much or little I put in front of him. he's not fat or skinny, just in between where he should be.

-Scott
Old 02-04-2005, 09:47 AM

What type of food are you guys feeding your dog. I was on Pedagree for about 3 years and feed my gsp coffee can a day. I now use Black Gold which is high in protien meat, not corn and he eats 3 cups a day. Sounds like they can't get enough to eat because corn base meal won't digest properly and that stuff just goes right through them. I am now feeding less and when they eat less, they crap less and they digest and use more of the eating product. Just wondering what type of food, you may wan't to check that out.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Before we got the younger dog, I was feeding the older one Diamond which was really good food. However, with my younger dog we went through all kinds of different brands of dog food b/c he always had a loose stool. The dog food we ended up settling on is Beneful, which can be had at Wal-mart.....it seemed to cure most of his problems.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:21 PM

After a year of age on large breed formula Purina puppy chow mine are put on Nutri care Hi Pro. Mine are on self feeders and have never had a problem with fat dogs. In very severe winter cold they get a little extra fat in their food. this is just cooked beef tallow about 2 tablesoons a day at zero and below.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:58 PM

I started my dog out on purina pro-plan large breed puppy, but he had lots of gas. we switched him to authority large breed puppy and he seems to have less gas. works for us.

-Scott