Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Rabbit/ Coon Hound

Old 02-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rabbit/ Coon Hound

Do the dogs get confused?
Old 02-22-2005, 01:13 PM

1950kid,
I don't coon hunt in the traditional manner. I hunt in the day in barns and brushpiles. If I were to coon hunt like everyone else, it would make it difficult but I think one could teach the dog to chase rabbits in the day, coons at night. A little extra effort. I use my dog to hunt everything so I 'm not to picky what he flushes. He has flushed snowshoes, grouse and woodcock and then dove under a brushpile after a coon. Eveyone tells me if I let him kill raccoons he will be hard mouthed but I haven't seen a problem with this. Is my jagd as good as a coonhound? No, but we bring the fur. Is he as good as a beagle? No, but we get the rabbits (more flush and roll than drive and roll). Can a beagle hunt birds, coons, or hogs as as well? Not that I have seen. As we see generalist take some training but work well.
Fatguy
PS When I get another dog it will be a wachtelhund. This is a dog that could trail coons, rabbits, birds and hogs. A breeder in my neck of the woods is trying to train his wachtelhund to hunt bear along with everything else. Just a thought.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:56 PM

When I was big in the hounds and coon hunting. We used to hold 3 different hunts at the club I use to belong to.(Michigan Coons Hunters Assoc.) Some times we would have a few bags of dog food that didn't sell. Well this one night sitting around the camp fire, we started talking who's dog is the best. And decided to find out. We had a coon we used for the tree contest, and we would let the coon go. After 20mins. we would let the dogs go. The dog that treed the coon first would win 200lbs. of dog food. Well it always seems when you brag about your dog, he/she never show what they can really do. Well the dogs took off on the trail, and 15/20mins later all we heard was a bunch of booger barking. Well this older gentleman that hunted with us had a beagle and told us to watch this. Well Mr. Hill let his beagle go, and within 10mins treed the coon. Talk about getting your nose rubbed into the dirt. This beagle was also one of the best rabbit hounds I've ever hunter with. So with the proper training and the right dog. You can hunt anything I guess.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:10 PM

coonhounds for coons .....beagles for rabbits love to hear them run
Old 03-07-2005, 09:51 PM

The past couple of seasons I have had the oppurtunity to hunt rabbits with blue tick beagles. They are what they sound like, a mix between a blue tick hound and a beagle. I know they are excellent rabbit dogs, but I'm not sure how they would do with coons.