Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog problem

Old 12-10-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Dog problem

I have a 2 y/o part Lab and part Golden Retriever. Every time I go hunting I walk for about 20 min. before I settle on a spot to sit for awhile. After I've been there for awhile my dog always sniffs me out. After she finds me she gets so excited that she starts jumping around and making all kinds of noise. Then she'll take a walk around like she's making a perimeter check. When she's done she'll come and sit right next to me and look around and be quiet. Is there anyway I could train her to track deer and lead me to a good hunting spot or even just to be a spotter while not barking the whole time? She's good at sniffing things out she's just to loud. I've tried locking her in the house but someone always ends up letting her out. It doesn't matter how long I've been up there, she always finds me. This is my first year hunting so any help would be appreciated.

Steve
Old 12-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dog problem

I could be wrong, but to me it sounds like you have not trained your dog correctly (with a GOOD - modern - sequential) training program.

What training guides (books/tapes) have you used as your training guides?
Old 12-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Am I getting this correctly? You want to train your dog to help you hunt deer? If that's the case, I don't know if any books been written for your situation.

Also, check with hunting laws in your state. It may say you can never use a dog to hunt this animal or that animal. I, personally, would ask a game warden or call DFW and ask. You could argue that it didn't state specifically (hunting deer with help of a dog) but if you lose then big fines ahead.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:24 PM

I haven't trained her at all. I just figured if she's going to come up there anyway I may as well make use of her. I haven't checked the laws in WV as far as hunting deer with a dog but I will now, I didn't even think of it. I hadn't planned on using her for hunting but there's nothing I can do as far as her sniffing me out. I hunt on my own property and she runs where she wants on it. It would suck getting a fine because my dog found me and happened to be sitting there when DNR showed up. I'm not to worried about them showing up,I've lived here for 4 years and never saw one. If it is illegal though I wont do it. Maybe I'll just use her to track one that I shot.
Thanks for the help,

Steve