Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog hates the Kennel!

Old 11-24-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Dog hates the Kennel!

HELP PLEASE

I have a 1 1/2 year old lab. She hunts great. The problem is that she hates to get in her kennel in the morning. After we have hunted a spot or two she is fine and will go right in, but first thing in the morning she refuses to get it, and it is really getting frustrating. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks for your help

Chris
Old 11-24-2004, 03:04 PM

Default RE: Dog hates the Kennel!

Well, what i would do is, get some dog treats. ( Well, some people say its bad to teach a dog by treats or train them with treats, but i dont think so ) i would make him do like sit, stay or whatever you have taught him. Give him a treat if he does it. Then i'd put one in the kennel, tell him whatever word you use to get him in the kennel. If he walks in give him a lot of praise. If he doesn't, keep trying. Soon he'll figure out that he gets a treat if he obeys. Then, take a way the treats, and if you say "Kennel Up" or whatever you say to him to get in the kennel, he walks in shut the door, and give him A LOT of praise. I cant stress enough that if you dont give your dog praise for doing the little things, then he'll become bitter like you are right now lol. Hope this helps!
Old 11-24-2004, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dog hates the Kennel!

ORIGINAL: obby1

HELP PLEASE

I have a 1 1/2 year old lab. She hunts great. The problem is that she hates to get in her kennel in the morning. After we have hunted a spot or two she is fine and will go right in, but first thing in the morning she refuses to get it, and it is really getting frustrating. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks for your help

Chris
Are you talking about a "crate" (kennel) or a "kennel run" (outdoor enclosure)?