Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Retrieving  in thick cover crops. >

Retrieving in thick cover crops.

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Retrieving in thick cover crops.

Old 10-23-2004, 02:36 AM

Default Retrieving in thick cover crops.

I am from Pakistan, You folks are lucky that you have vast hunting grounds with different terrains, but we have very limited resources here in Pakistan. I usually hunt quails, the season is on since September, I mostly hunt in crops especially in cotton and sorghum crops, with my dog, my dog is good at pointing, flushing and retrieving, but the problem is the crops are thick and the dog has to work in thick cover so when she flushes the bird and I shoot, it becomes difficult for the dog to locate and retrieve, so I have to take the dog to that place where the bird has fallen and there I give the find command, she gets the bird, is this practice ok or what should I do that my dog should by her self locate the dead or wounded bird without my assistance? Cover is thick some times hard for the dog to see through. I will appreciate any help and assistance.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:52 AM

Default RE: Retrieving in thick cover crops.

Sounds to me that things are working for you as they should. Although an experinced dog will use sight, sound and smell for locating falls, a novice dog needs the help from the hunter to mark the falls. My advice is to continue as you are and the dog will eventually take over as she gains experience. You should continue to mark your falls though, as even the best of dogs need a hand every now and then.