Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Questions about Weimaraners??? >

Questions about Weimaraners???

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Questions about Weimaraners???

Old 09-21-2004, 07:06 PM

Default Questions about Weimaraners???

I'm looking into getting a pointer for Grouse and Pheasant hunting and am considering a Weimaraner. For those of you that have one, are they good hunters (have a good nose)? Are they good with kids? One of my other concerns is living in Minnesota so it can get really cold late in the season so I am also wondering how they handle the cold.

Thanks for any help!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions about Weimaraners???

I have friends that have 3 . All 3 have great noses and natural ability . 1 spent its first 6 years as a inside city dog ,it locked on point first time out . Yes they are good with kids . But they have short coats , we hunt the male with my lab in cold weather ,it wears a coat in realy cold weather . It has no hair between toes , ice can build up . If it is kept inside it may be ok
Old 09-21-2004, 10:24 PM

Its funny you ask,, i came to the sporting dog forum for the first time, just now to look to see if there were any questions about weimeraners,, I just got my first one yesterday,, a 12 week old female pup.. and im wanting to learn more too. From all that ive read the last few days. they are very good with kids,, the three adults that the breeder had were all great with my 2 year old son. As for the cold im not sure,, but everything ive read and heard so far suggests that you keep them inside, as they really bond with family, and like to be around people all the time.. When hunting in cold weather you could use a vest for him like johnch said. Good luck with it.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Inactive

T

rick:

I have a 4 yr old weimar. He's great with kids and highly protective of the family. I got him when he was 2yrs old. Spent his first 2 yrs in town and never saw a gun.

We live in the country and i do a lot of shooting - he took to it like butter to bread - now if he sees me taking a gun out, he's waiting at the door. As for hunting - once he figured out what i was looking for - he goes for it!! Some he will point - others he just flushes (grouse). I'm geting to old to try and train him properly - but it could be done!!

They are an extremely smart breed of dog and very loving!!! Just start him/her out with all the basics (and make sure they learn them) then go from there!!

Good luck - I'm sure you'l enjoy!!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:54 PM

THERIC,since you're from Minnesota I want to encourage you to check out this Breeder. His web page is Bonnstetterkennels They are in Slayton.Larry is a retired farmer who is very good to deal with.He can show you either the old rugged style, or the more streamlined show quality type.I've had my female bred to Spook,and Barron and have been extreamly happy with both litters.

I dont think you can beat a Weimeraner for a family/gun dog.I would go so far as to say that it is a breed that needs to be a part of a family,is good with children and very,social.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:15 PM

Mid Plains,

I've read on some web sites that they can be very high maintanence and destructive if kept indoors. Is this any more than any other dog?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:23 PM

It's my oppinion, that since I believe this breed to be highly inteligent,it also is a breed that needs a good deal of attention.I got a female first,and I put a tremendous amount of time and care into training her and showing her what was and was not acceptable behavior.I taught her many tricks,and I dont think there is anything out there that another canine can do that I could not teach her.This would include rescue,and drug detection.I can whoa her,and she wont move until I tell her to,or pat her on the head.When I take all three of my dogs hunting,I'll introduce Annie to a freind or even a stranger and make her go with him (on the other side of a creek for instance).She'll hunt in front of the other person just like she would in front of me.(This is a pretty rare thing in dogs).Then I hunt my 2 males in front of me.She is either a one in a million dog or it was very beneficial to put the time in that I did.She also grew up with my five kids which was a crash coarse in being socially obedient, and well behaved around people.I'll leave her unattended in the house for hours without worrying that she'll mess or get in trouble.One bad habit she did teach herself though,is how to open the refrigerator and help herself.She's only done it a couple times,and she got disciplined for it,but I guess she felt it was worth a spanking to enjoy a human food meal.LOLI need to at least teach her to shut the fridge door!

On the other hand,I also have two young males that I raised from two separate litters who got less attention,and basically had to split up the limited time I was able to give them.They are great hunters, but have been relegated to being kennel dogs.They come in the house fairly often,when I'm there, and do fine, but I dont trust them on their own.I know that their deficiencies are MY fault and that it is directly in corellation to the amount of time I've given them in one on one training sesions.I tell you this to try to answer your question.I dont feel the breed is overly high maintenence,but since they are inteligent,they crave stimuli,and get bored if left to themselves.If you want get a dog,that you'll invite into your family and grow old with,a Weimeraner would be my first choice.If you have a limited amount of time to put in,then I'd consider a started,or partially trained dog or understand that your expectations may not get met.Does that make sense?

Here's a link to a pic of Toby,Jake,Annie and me
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...43198040&idx=3
Old 09-23-2004, 04:07 PM

I only have one Weim (Yukon, 4.5yrs old). He's a great dog, both in the house and afield. Generally with weims you just need to get them around birds often when they are young and they will use their natural ability in finding and retreiving them. At least that was my experience with Yukon.

They will chew on stuff when they are young and need to taught what is right and what is wrong like any dog. However, weims are the marathon runner of the dog world, they have lot's of energy. As long as you keep 'em tired, they don't have the energy to be bad dogs. Leave 'em to their own devices though and you'll lose a shoe, couch, or whatever else is nearby that they might like to chew on.

Overall, I couldn't imagine having another dog. I love the fact that they need to be part of the family. Yukon loves both me (as his master) and my wife, as well as my wife's 8 lb. Yorkie (so they can even be good with little dogs). I won't say he likes cats, unless bringing 'em to the front door is "liking" them. Here's a link to a pic of Yukon in the field...

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...ulation_page=Y
Old 10-08-2004, 01:53 PM

I have a 8 month old blue weimaraner. he has anxiety bad when left alone and is very timid when scolded. what is the best way to start bird dog training. I have never trained a pointer always owned Cheasie's. which are much stronger willed?
this is a great dog with my kids and loves attention, but I want to be able to take him out for pheasants and grouse? any tips or tricks would be great.

thanks for the help this seems like a great place to learn.[&:]