Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 ? about breeding my pointer >

? about breeding my pointer

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

? about breeding my pointer

Old 09-13-2004, 07:25 AM

Default ? about breeding my pointer

I have a gsp...she was a rescue dog. She is the best hunting dog I own. She doesn't have papers though. The male does. I am going to keep one of the pups. I don't know how much to charge for pups if the female doesn't have papers.
She is well known around here. I use her to guide hunts. Do I charge anything at all? Or, do I look for good hunting homes for the pups?
Old 09-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? about breeding my pointer

nothing in this world is for free, except the air and its polluted! Papers are important, but that doesnt mean the pups are free, it may knock some price down but who needs a peice of paper when u have a mans word who is solid as oak. If your word is good then so it your dog.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:28 PM

Thanks turkey fan....
appreciate your input
Old 09-16-2004, 02:18 PM
Spike

I agree nothing is for free these days.That being said,papers are just that, papers,nice to have,but no garuntee a dog will actually hunt just because it has papers.Some folks will insist on papers tho,some may care less.Papers are good to have for regestering the litter and knowing the dogs background of parents,grandparents and such.Some folks will want to know the bloodlines of both parents,some will buy dogs from the same bloodline over and over again.

I can and will say this.I saw and hunted over your Gsp and shes a fine dog and will very likely produce good hunting dogs.Use your own good judgement.Keep in mind you'll have vet costs for the litter so charing a resonable fee for a decent hunting is not out of the question,papers or not.Good luck with the breeding.Take care,Jackson..
Old 09-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Spike

I'll take one if your giving them away. lol I would say they are worth 250 sense a registered pup is around 500. Just a guess though.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:00 PM

I'll let ya'll know if Sarah gets bred, and how many pups she has. If I don't find good hunting homes for the pups locally, I'll let ya know. I have a feeling these are going to be some awesome dogs. I have been taking the Sarah & Chance ,the male, out everyday for walks. They are two aggressive & focused hunters.