Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Still Breeding

Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Still Breeding

A good friend of mine carried his children to school Friday morning and on his way back home he saw a buck and three does in a small pasture next to the road. He pulled over and watched for a few minutes and the buck ran one of the does a short distance and mounted and bred her. This was on March 7.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Still Breeding

Thats unheard of but very believable. There has been written documentation of bucks breeding does as early as September and late as March (as is your case). As long as a buck still has his antlers on his head he is able to breed, and if there is a willing doe he will breed her.

I just wonder when the fawn will be born and what the likelihood of its survival would be.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

I just wonder when the fawn will be born and what the likelihood of its survival would be.
Thats kind ofwhat i waswondering when i first read this.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

Thats unheard of but very believable. There has been written documentation of bucks breeding does as early as September and late as March (as is your case). As long as a buck still has his antlers on his head he is able to breed, and if there is a willing doe he will breed her.

I've always heard that a buck can breed anytime of the year.Horns or no horn.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

This was within the city limits of Troy, Al. Very mild winters. It is common to see small spotted fawns in Dec. Too many does, and the fawns that will breed at 6 or 7 months of age has the cycle all messed up. I'm not surprised to see spotted fawns at any time of the year. The camera chip I picked up Sat has one doe peeing in a scrape and 3 nice bucks working the scrapes. My grandsons and I found several fresh scrapes this weekend.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: brushbustin

I'm not 100% sure. I am pretty positive that when a buck's testoterone levels start dropping when the rut is over, that starts the intial casting process. Also, his testicles will receede preventing him from breeding. Don't quote me on that though.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

start killing some fawns and does they taste better anyway.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy is mounting a fawn that he picked up in Dec. that the head is no bigger then a tennis ball. It must have come from a very late rut. I also, when on the way to a party for my uncle at our hunt club, saw a buck, with horns, chasing a doe and mounted her. This was 3 weeks ago Feb. 16th.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: brushbustin

I'm not 100% sure. I am pretty positive that when a buck's testoterone levels start dropping when the rut is over, that starts the intial casting process. Also, his testicles will receede preventing him from breeding. Don't quote me on that though.
Just because the buck cant actually successfully breed, doesn't mean he cant be out getting some ass, right? I would think that damn near anytime a doe would stand still when he sniffs at her, he would try to mount her... Like pretty much every other mammal out there, right?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not at all uncommon to see fawns with spots in November here is south Mississippi.

Quick Reply: Still Breeding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.