Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

E-collars

Old 02-24-2002, 08:08 PM
Q2
Spike

Default E-collars

I was just wondering if Innotek collars were just as good as Tri-Tronics. Is buying a tri-tronics mostly more pricee because of the name. If it helps I got to Chesapeakes who hunt waterfowl mainly but also some upland birds and dove
Old 02-25-2002, 08:16 PM
Q2
Spike

Default RE: E-collars

Hey will someone answer please.
Old 02-27-2002, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Don't know much about the collars your talking about i use a DT SYSTEMS model 500 cost about 250.00 when i bought it i think they are abit more now but they are real good I've used them for quite awhile and have had good luck with them
www.dtsystems.com
They are quite water proof as well as my shorthairs seem to be in the creeks alot while we hunt

Edited by - HOSS on 02/27/2002 08:31:27
Old 02-27-2002, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

Q,

It sounds like you are quite green when it comes to gun dog training. I would do A TON of research before you even think about purchasing one, and you will acquire some knowledge about the quality of collars along the way which will help in your purchase.

There are far too many rookies out there strapping e-collars on dogs because it seems like the thing to do. Just make sure to shock yourself a few times with the same amount of pressure you will use on your dog, then you may not be so inclined to burn your dog.

Just my two cents.

Chad
Old 02-27-2002, 08:15 PM
Q2
Spike

What made you think I am green. All I asked is which yall thought was better. I plan on getting one that is for two dogs so my dad can work his dog too. I know how to train a dog and when not to scold them.
Old 02-27-2002, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Well I have an Innoteck FS400 I can say I have had some issues with it. 1 the buttons are not protected so it is VERY easy to shock the dog accidentally......I speak from.......
I am selling mine and Buying a Tri Tronics.
Plus my Dog has yelped several Times like she was being shocked . I was looking at the transmitter. knowing I was not touching it. That may not be an issue with a lab but with my GSP IT IS AN ISSUE. To much time and effort to train a pup then lose it to a crappy collar. Just an opinion I guess...
Old 02-28-2002, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Simply stating, normally fellas learn what collars are good and bad from personal training experience with other experienced handlers. It just seemed like a question someone who hasn't been around collars would ask.

I am just laying it out there in that this isn't a matter of just strapping one on and "scolding" them, it is MUCH more than that, and shouldn't even be considered by an untrained rookie of any kind.

Whether or not you are a rook or not, I have no idea. If so, get help.

Chad
Old 03-02-2002, 06:56 AM
Spike

Q2 The Tri Coller is going to hold up longer in the end. I have 2 of them and if I ever have problems they will usually replace them at no cost within a week.

I have friends who went the less expensive route and have had noting but problems with their Innotek and Innotek's customer service is really had to deal with if ou do have a problem.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

you guys that may accidently shock your dog do you carry the transmittter in your pocket it may be getting bumped by somthing I sewed a old blue jeans pocket to the upper left shoulder (I shot right handed) of my hunting vest plus a strip of cloth to hold just above the anntena and this makes it easy to get to youjust reach up and press the button you want and there is no chance of accidental shock. just make sure it's secure thus the extra cloth strap