Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Electronic Collars

Old 02-04-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Electronic Collars

Hi everyone,

I have a new dog whom we took to the trainer and passed the class but has a few very bad habits like running off, barking,jumping up on the table or counter to try and get food and on people when they come over as well as a few other annoying things. He is a Beagle/Boxer Mix and has a wonderful personality and a great nose. He is only 8 months old right now and I think he will be a great dog if we can get rid of some of these annoying habits. I was looking at the electronic trainers and wanted to now what the thoughts were about them. He is mostly a family dog but I hunt (although not birds - maybe shed hunting though) and the family likes to go on hikes andsuch and I would like to be able to take him off leash on some private property I have access to. Do they work well and do you need to keep him on it all the time once you start using it or is it something where you will just have to break it out for maintenance when the habit starts to show back up again (I realize it may be beneficial to kee him on it when wehike do avoid tempting fate with a tasty squirrel or rabbitor the occasional car (at home).

Also, are their any personal favorites as far as units go as to avoid breaking the bank. A waterproof unit may be beneficial since we hike andsuch.I know we don't need a unit w/tremendous range. 300 yds max. Also question on the TONE vs PAGER feature which isa better route to go. I think the battery will last longer in a TONE one becasue the collar does not need to spin a little motor to cause the vibration.

Anyhow, any help would great. Thanks!

Matt