Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 What do you use to sanitize your kennels? >

What do you use to sanitize your kennels?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What do you use to sanitize your kennels?

Old 05-10-2004, 06:12 AM

Default What do you use to sanitize your kennels?

I have 5 kennels...they have concrete flooring...
In the winter, for bedding I put straw down on part of the kennels. I have been using a chlorine bleach/water mixture to sanitize...didn't know what else to use. This is cheap enough. But, the smell is so strong for the dogs. After I use it, I let them stay out of the kennels for a while.
What do you use?
Old 05-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What do you use to sanitize your kennels?

when i used to work in a kennel a couple years ago in high school, we always cleaned with a product called Lem-Quat. This stuff smells good, but not too strong... I think you dilute it 10:1 with water...
Old 05-11-2004, 09:17 PM

I had a vet tell me once to never use ammonia or other strong cleansers.
He said it burns out there "smellers". I now have dirt floors and just recycle the straw and top dirt into compost.

critch
Old 05-13-2004, 11:07 AM

try lysol disinfectant. it is a strong cleaner and disinfectant, and comes in different scents. it is not as strong smelling as the bleach. it is still a good idea to leave the dogs out of the area until completely dry. also try using cedar or pine bededing rather than the straw. the cedar scent is a natural insect repelent and is just as comfortable for the dogs. i use a mixture of both in the inner kennel and sand in the outer. the sand cleans very easy and the dogs can stay cool by digging into it a little when hot out. it also works great in hot weather just to soak the sand down. the other benefit is that cleaning is much easier.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:49 PM

Its hard to be bleach in its effectiveness and expense. You might try diluting it a little more. It doesn't have to be very strong. A 1:10 mixture with water should be strong enough in most situations.

Someone meantioned Lysol. I don't know if its true, but I've heard that Lysol doesn't kill the parvo virus. Something to keep in mind.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:56 PM

like wvvet says bleach is hard to beat,and ive also heard lysol does not get rid of parvo.for quite a few of us southern boys that still have dirt kennel floors,if you get parvo in there its darn near imposible to get rid of,about all you can do is bleach and hope for a hard winter,if that even helps.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know about critch, but almost any vet I have ever talked to say bleach is the best thing to use. Just make sure that the dogs arent real close to it when you have it on, what we used to do was dilute the bleach at a 6:1 ratio and pour it on our concrete floors, then about 25-30 mins later take a water hose to it to spray it off. I would not recommend ammonia though, and Lysol does work real good. I even know a few guys who use pinesol, yep pinesol,.

Later