Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how to clean and sanitize it >

how to clean and sanitize it

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how to clean and sanitize it

Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default how to clean and sanitize it

OK i come to the same thing most of you did with the rack i found.

I do not think it is worth the 75 bucks to have a antler mount done on the rack i found.
My first thought as suggested by one of you use them for rattlers. I just ordered a set of primos fightin antlers.
Then my dad said use them for a cool coat rack. Good idea.
Then i though why not take them screw them on say a 2x2 oak board that has been finished and use them for a bow rack.
Would they be strong enough to support the bow.
I was thinking laying them on there side end to end with the points pointing out and screw them in one or two places to the board.
Or should i cut alittle groove out of the board so there more support for the weight.

Or is this just a bad idea and the points or even the antlers will not support the bow.

Question two i think i am going to cut the antlers off for what ever i end up using them for.
How can i clean them and sanitize them
I thought about alittle bleach water or peroxide or will it stain the antlers. What about if i dropped them in some boiling water.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:08 PM

Default RE: how to clean and sanitize it

Why would you want to cut the antlers off instead of making a nice Euro mount out of it?

Find a big pot (and do this outside) and get some water boiling. Put a little bit of Dawn (or whatever) dish detergent in the water to act as a degreaser. Wrap some foil around the antlers and tape up to hold in place. That will prevent the water from causing any kind of discoloration to the antlers. Set the head in the boiling water and leave in for about 10-15 minutes. Remove and use pliers, coat hanger, knife, or whatever you have to scrape off the leftover hide or meat. Repeat this process until it is all removed. Be sure there is no "junk" left inside the skull.

Some people use bleach to get the skull white butI've heard bad things about this method. I bought some peroxide cream solution (for hair) at a Sally's beauty supply. I"painted" it on the skull and left over night. Did this a few times and the skull got a little whiter. You can also put it hot in the hot sun for a day or two and that will help.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

well it has sit for a month dead it stickes real bad and i do not think my nieghboors would like me after doing it
ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Why would you want to cut the antlers off instead of making a nice Euro mount out of it?

Find a big pot (and do this outside) and get some water boiling. Put a little bit of Dawn (or whatever) dish detergent in the water to act as a degreaser. Wrap some foil around the antlers and tape up to hold in place. That will prevent the water from causing any kind of discoloration to the antlers. Set the head in the boiling water and leave in for about 10-15 minutes. Remove and use pliers, coat hanger, knife, or whatever you have to scrape off the leftover hide or meat. Repeat this process until it is all removed. Be sure there is no "junk" left inside the skull.

Some people use bleach to get the skull white butI've heard bad things about this method. I bought some peroxide cream solution (for hair) at a Sally's beauty supply. I"painted" it on the skull and left over night. Did this a few times and the skull got a little whiter. You can also put it hot in the hot sun for a day or two and that will help.

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Well, I can't do a thing about your neighbors.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simmer it and make a euro. Or bury it on an ant hill. If its a nice rack then do something with it. But don't cut it. As for rattling antlers....... if they are the right size and sound maybe. Depends on what the weather did to it.
I call man law violation. We need pics
Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff332/bigtim6656/hunting/mewithrackfound.jpg
Old 09-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

No right or wrong answer......but why would you want to do a euro mount on a deer you didn't kill? Not sure I'm with ya on that one.

Secondly....IF you do choose to do a euro.....I'd leave it outside somehwere and let the insects clean it for me (as was suggested earlier). Be careful to keep it away from critters who might gnaw on it, though.

I would NOT bleach it. Theose look "fake" to me. I gave strict instructions to my taxi that I didn't want the antlers cleaned one bit. I wanted them just like they were when I killed him. I think they look great that way.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd justget a Euro mount on it. They look nice, and I'm sure in the long run you'll be happier you did.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 AM

If your going to use the Peroxide solution (Developer) get what they call 40 volume or a few companies make 50 volume, I don't know if sally's carries it. The volume refers to the strength of the mix, it normally comes in 10, 20, 30, and 40.

It's a little sad I know this, but oh well, I sell the stuff for a living.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got a funny neighbor & skull boiling story for you.

The first hunting season after I moved into my house I killed a buckand was going to do a skull mount. I boiled water on the stove & then used my grill outside to keep it going. My neighbor noticed me outside and came over with her teenage daughter selling fundraiser raffle tickets. We all didn't know each other too well yet, and I saw the uneasyness in thier faces when they saw a deer rack poking up out of the pot. So i went on to explain what I was doing and went & pulled out a finished skull from prior years. That helped explain things and we all got a chuckle out of it. 7 years later, I'm sure few things I do out in the yard suprise them anymore & heck they still let thier kids come over & shoot thierbows with me.

Quick Reply: how to clean and sanitize it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.