Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Please help squirrel hunters!! >

Please help squirrel hunters!!

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Please help squirrel hunters!!

Old 12-19-2003, 10:16 PM

Default Please help squirrel hunters!!

Alright, I'm still working on my squirrel dog research, for any of you that have been patiently responding to my questions. Is it absolutely necessary for me to get a dog of proven hunting genes? They are often expensive, but there are countless classified ads in the paper from regular family dogs such as Jack Russels, Rat Terriors, dachsunds, etc. that are cheaper. Would a pup trained well from a litter like this turn into a quality hunting dog? Any more breed suggestions? Also, how close are beagles when you finally shoot a rabbit? I am interested in rabbit dogs, too, but rabbits are a less common game animal around here than squirrels.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:33 PM

Default RE: Please help squirrel hunters!!

It all depends on whether the dog has a "nose" or not. This mostly comes from the genes and working with him. Your best bet is to find a good breeder and get a pup that comes from hunting dogs. Check out www.squirrel dog central.com
Old 12-24-2003, 08:10 AM

Default RE: Please help squirrel hunters!!

IN MY EXPERIENCE WITH SQUIRREL DOGS (I HAVE HAD A COUPLE) THEY HUNTED BY SITE MORE THAN SMELL ABOUT 85 % TO 15% THE BREED YOU THAT IS BEST IS OF ONE OWN PERSONAL CHOICE YES A RAT OR JACK WOULD BE FINE ONE OF MY BEST EVEN HAD SOME BRITTANY IN HIM
THE BEST MOST EXPENCIVE DOG YOU CAN BUY IS ONLY IS GOOD AS IT'S INSTINCTS AND/OR TRAINING. YOU CAN GET A SMALL BREED MUTT TO WORK SQUIRRELS IF YOU CAN GIVE HIM THE TIME AND TRAINING IT TAKES BELIVE ME I KNOW
GOOD LUCK