Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

which one do I pick

Old 12-02-2003, 10:32 PM

Default which one do I pick

I live in a small neighborhood with very little yards and room. I'd like to have a dog for upland game and maybe some rabbits. I was thinking of a beagle are there other breeds that would be better? I'd really like a lab for waterfowl but don't think there is room for a big dog.

Any comments, suggestions are appreciated.

JH
Old 12-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: which one do I pick

With rabbits as a part of the mix, I would only consider some type of hound...a beagle would be perfect. You can also try a springer spaniel...they will even fetch a few ducks for you.

If you go for upland birds only, add the brittany and English Setter to your list.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

The continental breeds will do all of the things you ask. As you have limited yard space look at the Brittany say over GSP or GWP sized dogs.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:46 AM

Be careful with that beagle, they may be small, but they are loud and like to let their noses take them where they please. The barking is probably more of a problem than the size of the dog--I have seen some totally tubular beagles pushing 50lbs!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:10 AM

I'd suggest a springer. I was debating between a springer and a chessie, myself just recently. I went with the chessie because I have a couple really large (non-hunting) dogs, and wanted a larger dog than the springer. I also wanted a darker dog (my newfoundlands are black), to make picking hair off clothing easier (I avoid wearing white). I couldn't bring myself to get a black lab (like EVERYONE else).

My reasons for my final choice may be a little silly, but I'm happy with my pick so far. He is quite birdy, and a natural retriever at 10 weeks. also a real handfull of energy. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:19 PM

I'd move, buy a lab and hunt happily ever after.

critch
Old 12-26-2003, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

How small is your yard? I live in a small Pa. town with small yards. My total lot size is only 101 Ft. by 29 1/2 Ft. My house and front yard take up about 1/3 of this lot leaving me with a back yard that is 29 1/2 ft. wide by 66 ft. long. I have a lab and we play, and work, in this yard daily. I walk him around town 3 or 4 times a week. These walks cover 2 to 4 miles, depending on the time I have to walk him. Then of course I try to get him out in the field as much as possible. Also I take him with me in the off season on hiking & backpacking trips. I also have to clean up after him on a daily basis. He does fine even though I have a small yard. If you have the time to help your dog get the exercise he needs then a lab shouldn't be a problem even with a small yard.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:44 PM

Get yourself a LAB! My 2 boys get their exercise when I take them to train every day!!!! Heck I even work em in the basement when I am pressed for time. As long as you are within 30 minutes of a ball field you do not have any excuses......the dog will be what you make of him.

Good Luck and Good Training!

Old 01-22-2004, 08:32 AM

French Brits are known to be versatile. Ours will water retreive and point flush and retrieve. As far as rabbits are concerned. I wouldn't introduced the rabbit hunting to any breed until after they are well versed with hunting birds and doing everything right in the field. Some people frown on teaching pointing breeds to hunt furbearers, but NAVDA has shown the breeds are capable of distinguishing both. I suggest find your local NAVda chapter and hang out with them and get to know the different breeds. Also consider your family and any children when you decide and how much time the dog is going to be around them.