Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dogs foot sore

Old 11-02-2003, 01:25 PM

Default Dogs foot sore

I have a GSP, after hunting Last Saturday, and upon returning home , I noticed him with a bit of a limp. The next day he for the most part would walk on three legs. My wife and I looked at his foot and can' t seem to find anthing in it. That was a week ago, he still seems to favor the foot a bit, but still rips around, running & jumping, he seems to walk flat footed on the one foot instead of on his toes as usual. Any Ideas? Do you think he should see the vet ? Thanks for your input
Old 11-02-2003, 01:50 PM

Default RE: Dogs foot sore

My male is doing the exact thing (walking on three legs) after five straight days of woodcock hunting. My female has done the same over the years, but it usually gets better by about the third day. I know that my dog' s problems are associated with the thorny habitat they are hunting. However, if at after a week the problem still exsists, I would definetly have my dogs at the vet.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:58 PM

it could be a thorn or a small cut.

My beagles will get sore feet after a day or two of running if I don' t treat them befor the season opens.

I take a coffee can,put a can of salt into it and a quart of white viniger ,mix well.some of the salt will not disolve.each day I will take each dog and stick both front feet into the can for a min,then the back the same.I do each dog each day for about two weeks befor the season.then every other day or so durning the season.just add more salt and viniger as needed.
This will toughen there feet.if the have a small cut or sore,when you turn them alose,they will roll and slide for a min.(it kinda burns a little).

I learned this trick when I worked at a paper mill,to toughen the hands so the paper wan' t cut as bad.you will cut up some also if you have a cut.it will heal and toughen the hands(and feet)...........this is not a heal all if the feet are cut bad,or has a thoen in it.........by all means check them closley and go to the vet if needed.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:26 PM

I have been dealing with sore feet on my brits for quite awhile, and have found a few things that really do help. First, BEFORE the season, treat your dogs pads daily with bluefoot, then once or twice a week during the season. When hunting in really rocky or freezing conditions, I paint the pads with a substance I got at Cabela' s that creates a seal over the pad. Third, I try to rotate my dogs so they aren' t hunting more than three days back to back.

This stuff has worked for me, so you might experiment with it yourself.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:30 AM

You might check between the dogs toes real close. Out west we have " cheat grass" it can get between the toes and work it' s way into sweat glands there. My dog has had this happen more than once. The paw swelled up and she could not use it normally. Once I removed the grass it was fine.
Dave in Idaho
Old 11-12-2003, 03:15 PM

What you are describing can be many things from a paw problem up to a hip/shoulder problem. Since your problem is intermittent, rest the dog a minimum of 2-3 weeks. In others words, no running and no jumping (basically kennel him)and see if the problem goes away. If it is then no better or it seems to be getting worse at any time, take him to your vet.