Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lurchers?

Old 04-08-2017, 01:43 PM
Spike

Default Lurchers?

I have been doing some research and looking around. But I can't seem to find breeders in the United States. Does anyone know of any good breeders here in the United States?
Old 04-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems a lot of people in California are using Greyhound Collie mixes. Or Border Collie Greyhound mixes.

There is sometimes a fine line between a Cur and a Lurcher. Sometimes sight hunters are called Hounds, were I come from hounds are scent hunters.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Seems a lot of people in California are using Greyhound Collie mixes. Or Border Collie Greyhound mixes.

There is sometimes a fine line between a Cur and a Lurcher. Sometimes sight hunters are called Hounds, were I come from hounds are scent hunters.
When it comes to lurchers I was thinking greyhound collie mix and I am trying to find a breeder.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a stock picture of my last Lurcher, pretty much a clone of her, but an internet picture (I'm not finding her real pictures, maybe lost in my last puter crash).

She was paired up with my Hog dog a Beagle Rottweiler mix. That sucker had two things in his head. follow that scent and kill something. I wouldn't recommend that mix to anybody.

Here is a stock picture of a Catahoula Cur

Amazingly similar in looks, other than the fur, ears and coloration.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-08-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Spike

This is a stock picture of my last Lurcher, pretty much a clone of her, but an internet picture (I'm not finding her real pictures, maybe lost in my last puter crash).

She was paired up with my Hog dog a Beagle Rottweiler mix. That sucker had two things in his head. follow that scent and kill something. I wouldn't recommend that mix to anybody.
That looks like an Ibizan Hound which I have looked up before they are a sighthound and are pretty cool dogs. That Beagle Rottweiler sounds like a good dog but a bit of a handful.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntley
That looks like an Ibizan Hound which I have looked up before they are a sighthound and are pretty cool dogs. That Beagle Rottweiler sounds like a good dog but a bit of a handful.
That is an Ibizan Hound, so was mine, an adoption. The North African coursing dogs look much the same.

That Beagle Rottweiler mix was a good watchdog, anybody coming into the yard un******ed was dinner. He was actually a Czech Bear dog, bred for Boar hunting. I took him back to the breeder asking for some guidance, he said they are bred to be aggressive and stupid, they would have to be to go into a thicket after a Boar or Bear, he laughed, I didn't see the humor. He was another adoption, the Customs agents at the local airport tried them for awhile and decided they were way too aggressive.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:57 PM
Spike

That is an Ibizan Hound, so was mine, an adoption. The North African coursing dogs look much the same.

That Beagle Rottweiler mix was a good watchdog, anybody coming into the yard un******ed was dinner. He was actually a Czech Bear dog, bred for Boar hunting. I took him back to the breeder asking for some guidance, he said they are bred to be aggressive and stupid, they would have to be to go into a thicket after a Boar or Bear, he laughed, I didn't see the humor. He was another adoption, the Customs agents at the local airport tried them for awhile and decided they were way too aggressive.
What was your experience with the Ibizan hound? I had looked in to them but they were not easy to find.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

What was your experience with the Ibizan hound? I had looked in to them but they were not easy to find.
I never did really bond with mine, she seemed kind of aloof. She had a strong prey drive, it was a wonder watching her chase a Hare. She would come back when she got good and ready. I needed to work her with another dog that would listen.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Spike

I never did really bond with mine, she seemed kind of aloof. She had a strong prey drive, it was a wonder watching her chase a Hare. She would come back when she got good and ready. I needed to work her with another dog that would listen.
I think that kind of behavior is common with sighthounds in general isn't it.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that kind of behavior is common with sighthounds in general isn't it.
Seems likely, most don't seem to be pack hunters and have a narrow view of life, if it runs chase it.

The speed dog I've mentioned in my first pack, the Black mouth Cur look alike, was basically a Lurcher, sight hunter, smart as whip, nearly as fast as a Greyhound but with more stamina and the most trainable dog I've ever known. We had a real bond. Just a lucky mix.

Lurcher, Cur and other Dog categories get kind of blurred.

A Lurcher to me is any dog that mostly sight hunts and is quick. Lurcher has been redefined a bit over the years. Now it is mostly Greyhound or Whippet mix.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.