Sporting Dogs What?s the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lurchers?

Reply

Old 04-08-2017, 01:43 PM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Default Lurchers?

I have been doing some research and looking around. But I can't seem to find breeders in the United States. Does anyone know of any good breeders here in the United States?
Huntley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:24 PM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
MudderChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Germany/Calif.
Posts: 1,791
Default

Seems a lot of people in California are using Greyhound Collie mixes. Or Border Collie Greyhound mixes.

There is sometimes a fine line between a Cur and a Lurcher. Sometimes sight hunters are called Hounds, were I come from hounds are scent hunters.
MudderChuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:54 PM
  #3  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by MudderChuck View Post
Seems a lot of people in California are using Greyhound Collie mixes. Or Border Collie Greyhound mixes.

There is sometimes a fine line between a Cur and a Lurcher. Sometimes sight hunters are called Hounds, were I come from hounds are scent hunters.
When it comes to lurchers I was thinking greyhound collie mix and I am trying to find a breeder.
Huntley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:26 PM
  #4  
Nontypical Buck
 
MudderChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Germany/Calif.
Posts: 1,791
Default

This is a stock picture of my last Lurcher, pretty much a clone of her, but an internet picture (I'm not finding her real pictures, maybe lost in my last puter crash).



She was paired up with my Hog dog a Beagle Rottweiler mix. That sucker had two things in his head. follow that scent and kill something. I wouldn't recommend that mix to anybody.

Here is a stock picture of a Catahoula Cur



Amazingly similar in looks, other than the fur, ears and coloration.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-08-2017 at 06:40 PM.
MudderChuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:35 PM
  #5  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by MudderChuck View Post
This is a stock picture of my last Lurcher, pretty much a clone of her, but an internet picture (I'm not finding her real pictures, maybe lost in my last puter crash).



She was paired up with my Hog dog a Beagle Rottweiler mix. That sucker had two things in his head. follow that scent and kill something. I wouldn't recommend that mix to anybody.
That looks like an Ibizan Hound which I have looked up before they are a sighthound and are pretty cool dogs. That Beagle Rottweiler sounds like a good dog but a bit of a handful.
Huntley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:52 PM
  #6  
Nontypical Buck
 
MudderChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Germany/Calif.
Posts: 1,791
Default

Originally Posted by Huntley View Post
That looks like an Ibizan Hound which I have looked up before they are a sighthound and are pretty cool dogs. That Beagle Rottweiler sounds like a good dog but a bit of a handful.
That is an Ibizan Hound, so was mine, an adoption. The North African coursing dogs look much the same.

That Beagle Rottweiler mix was a good watchdog, anybody coming into the yard un******ed was dinner. He was actually a Czech Bear dog, bred for Boar hunting. I took him back to the breeder asking for some guidance, he said they are bred to be aggressive and stupid, they would have to be to go into a thicket after a Boar or Bear, he laughed, I didn't see the humor. He was another adoption, the Customs agents at the local airport tried them for awhile and decided they were way too aggressive.
MudderChuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:57 PM
  #7  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by MudderChuck View Post
That is an Ibizan Hound, so was mine, an adoption. The North African coursing dogs look much the same.

That Beagle Rottweiler mix was a good watchdog, anybody coming into the yard un******ed was dinner. He was actually a Czech Bear dog, bred for Boar hunting. I took him back to the breeder asking for some guidance, he said they are bred to be aggressive and stupid, they would have to be to go into a thicket after a Boar or Bear, he laughed, I didn't see the humor. He was another adoption, the Customs agents at the local airport tried them for awhile and decided they were way too aggressive.
What was your experience with the Ibizan hound? I had looked in to them but they were not easy to find.
Huntley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:08 PM
  #8  
Nontypical Buck
 
MudderChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Germany/Calif.
Posts: 1,791
Default

Originally Posted by Huntley View Post
What was your experience with the Ibizan hound? I had looked in to them but they were not easy to find.
I never did really bond with mine, she seemed kind of aloof. She had a strong prey drive, it was a wonder watching her chase a Hare. She would come back when she got good and ready. I needed to work her with another dog that would listen.
MudderChuck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:12 PM
  #9  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by MudderChuck View Post
I never did really bond with mine, she seemed kind of aloof. She had a strong prey drive, it was a wonder watching her chase a Hare. She would come back when she got good and ready. I needed to work her with another dog that would listen.
I think that kind of behavior is common with sighthounds in general isn't it.
Huntley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:22 PM
  #10  
Nontypical Buck
 
MudderChuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Germany/Calif.
Posts: 1,791
Default

Originally Posted by Huntley View Post
I think that kind of behavior is common with sighthounds in general isn't it.
Seems likely, most don't seem to be pack hunters and have a narrow view of life, if it runs chase it.

The speed dog I've mentioned in my first pack, the Black mouth Cur look alike, was basically a Lurcher, sight hunter, smart as whip, nearly as fast as a Greyhound but with more stamina and the most trainable dog I've ever known. We had a real bond. Just a lucky mix.

Lurcher, Cur and other Dog categories get kind of blurred.

A Lurcher to me is any dog that mostly sight hunts and is quick. Lurcher has been redefined a bit over the years. Now it is mostly Greyhound or Whippet mix.
MudderChuck is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service