Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Lurchers?

Old 04-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Seems likely, most don't seem to be pack hunters and have a narrow view of life, if it runs chase it.

The speed dog I've mentioned in my first pack, the Black mouth Cur look alike, was basically a Lurcher, sight hunter, smart as whip, nearly as fast as a Greyhound but with more stamina and the most trainable dog I've ever known. We had a real bond. Just a lucky mix.

Lurcher, Cur and other Dog categories get kind of blurred.

A Lurcher to me is any dog that mostly sight hunts and is quick. Lurcher has been redefined a bit over the years. Now it is mostly Greyhound or Whippet mix.
I know you mentioned greyhound collie mixes before have you ever worked with any. I would think the collie would help with training and and make it a better back pack dog. But I have no experience with them so I would like to know.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntley
I know you mentioned greyhound collie mixes before have you ever worked with any. I would think the collie would help with training and and make it a better back pack dog. But I have no experience with them so I would like to know.
No I haven't worked with Collie Greyhound mixes, but have known Greyhounds and Collies. Seems like a good mix, seems a lot of people also think so. A Collie without all the fur is built light boned and quick but a herding breed, smarter and more trainable than the average Greyhound. Greyhounds are fast and have a strong prey drive.

There are sites dedicated to this mix on the internut. Most of my searches were about Jack Rabbit hunting, one of my great pleasures in life and I came across people breeding Lurchers to course Jackrabbits. Coursing Yotes is a likely crossover, Yotes are quick.

If you look at the skull, many breeds have some Greyhound in there, the skull shape is kind of a tip off (indicator). Other than that you'd have to do a red blood cell count and check heart size or do genetic testing. The skull shape is old school, but a likely tell tale.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-08-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
No I haven't worked with Collie Greyhound mixes, but have known Greyhounds and Collies. Seems like a good mix, seems a lot of people also think so. A Collie without all the fur is built light boned and quick but a herding breed, smarter and more trainable than the average Greyhound. Greyhounds are fast and have a strong prey drive.

There are sites dedicated to this mix on the internut. Most of my searches were about Jack Rabbit hunting, one of my great pleasures in life and I came across people breeding Lurchers to course Jackrabbits. Coursing Yotes is a likely crossover, Yotes are quick.

If you look at the skull, many breeds have some Greyhound in there, the skull shape is kind of a tip off (indicator). Other than that you'd have to do a red blood cell count and check heart size or do genetic testing. The skull shape is old school, but a likely tell tale.
Yea they are both quick dogs. I am really thinking about getting one if I can find one for sale. Because I start of using them for rabbit then we I get a few use them for yotes. I would probably use that dog along with the dog I have know to hunt rabbits just to get a feel for them.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lurcher?

I don't know of many folks breeding them. But there was a guy in Wisconsin breeding stag/border collies. His first name was Dan his last name was Mc something or other.

Mine came off of Hancock's yard. You might have better luck just calling them.
http://www.hancocklurchers.co.uk/Default.aspx

They don't charge much for their dogs but the shipping is another matter.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
I don't know of many folks breeding them. But there was a guy in Wisconsin breeding stag/border collies. His first name was Dan his last name was Mc something or other.

Mine came off of Hancock's yard. You might have better luck just calling them.
http://www.hancocklurchers.co.uk/Default.aspx

They don't charge much for their dogs but the shipping is another matter.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Thank you I will look into both of those.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lurcher

I guess it might help to give you my thoughts on collie/greyhounds. Mine is 1/4 collie 3/4 greyhound. He's about 29" at the shoulder and 65#. He's a nice biddable dog and easy to keep. In the forest he sticks with me pretty well though he'll chase anything you put up. I had to use an e collar to break him off deer. But as he's gotten older I can pretty much call him off of anything.

He's fast and strong but he doesn't like getting bit. So, he's more useful for rabbits, possum's and the like.

Oh, and cold weather in not a problem for him. he can sleep out here in Michigan without any problems. He's about three years old in these pics.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:48 PM
Spike

I guess it might help to give you my thoughts on collie/greyhounds. Mine is 1/4 collie 3/4 greyhound. He's about 29" at the shoulder and 65#. He's a nice biddable dog and easy to keep. In the forest he sticks with me pretty well though he'll chase anything you put up. I had to use an e collar to break him off deer. But as he's gotten older I can pretty much call him off of anything.

He's fast and strong but he doesn't like getting bit. So, he's more useful for rabbits, possum's and the like.

Oh, and cold weather in not a problem for him. he can sleep out here in Michigan without any problems. He's about three years old in these pics.
Beautiful dog and thanks for all the help
Old 04-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lurcher

It's been almost a year. Did you ever find a dog?

ATB
Old 07-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Spike

It's been almost a year. Did you ever find a dog?

ATB
right now I do have not gotten one at the moment I just have my Brittany, golden and lab. And we have moved so it will probably be a while before I will be in a situation to where I could get one. I do have a question it’s for any on here and it’s more to fill my curiosity than anything. Do you guys think a Brittany and Saluki would be a good mix
Old 07-15-2018, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntley

right now I do have not gotten one at the moment I just have my Brittany, golden and lab. And we have moved so it will probably be a while before I will be in a situation to where I could get one. I do have a question it’s for any on here and it’s more to fill my curiosity than anything. Do you guys think a Brittany and Saluki would be a good mix
Hey bud. I'm not an expert on saluki's but they have a reputation for being sort of odd. Most cross breeds that include saluki generally pursue jack rabbits in hotter country. In the UK they are common for their European hare.

Crossing a pointing breed and a saluki may not be the best option. Not enough front end speed I'm thinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.