Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 100 Gundogs die on SD opener >

100 Gundogs die on SD opener

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

100 Gundogs die on SD opener

Old 11-04-2003, 10:09 AM

Default RE: 100 Gundogs die on SD opener

Dear Nulle; Articles like this printed in the Star Tribune and picked up by the national press bother me. I believe the veternarians quoted were trying to warn hunters of the dangers of heat stroke during an unusually warm season opener. What news got out was that 100 dogs died that weekend. No question that the press tried to sensationalize the story and made readers possibly think that hunters are careless and negligent in the care of their dogs.
First of all the article was unsubstantiated. The number of animals that were treated for heat stroke was estimated by quotes from one veterinarian. This reminds me of calls I have recieved from our local press asking about episodes of poisonings and when I did not give the answers they wanted, the reporters would continue with more leading questions. Once we had a problem here with bears coming into town during a drought year. A reporter from the local paper called to ask me how many bear attacks we had seen(dogs attacked by bear). I told him " Two in twelve years and they were both hounds injured when hunting bear" . Obviously annoyed with my answer he asked. " Do you think that is because dogs attacked by bears are so badly injured they dont make it to the emergency clinic?" . I finally said that with bears coming into town that it makes sense to expect more exposure and that is what was quoted in the paper.
Secondly, I think that hunters/dog owners are as a group very responsible pet owners and treat their animals extemely well. I see abuse and neglect all the time and most of the time it is due to just not being educated about health risks and dangers. I feel that the vets in SD were just trying to get the message out. I run Wirehairs in the desert and mountains of New Mexico and the all the dog people I know are always conscious of the heat and tend to their dogs regularly. They simply know the dangers and are well educated about the dangers of the desert. However every Spring I see several dogs with heat stroke when the temperatures start rising. Rarely gundogs, usually out of shape dogs out for a jog with their owner or left in a closed vehicle.
Finally, Gundog owners from the northern states may not be as aware of the dangers of heat stroke. First of all prevention is key. Dogs expel heat by panting. Enclosed dog box with poor ventilation plus hot dog is deadly. Monitor temp in dog boxes by buying a remote thermometer and placing inside dog box and readout inside vehicle. Keep dog fit in off season. Train year round for a good dog during opener and entire season. Carry lots of water in field during at all times. Water several times during hunt. Rotate dogs or rest dog in shade during hot weather.
I just came back from a five day hunt in SD. Pheasant, sharptails, and prarie chicken. A great hunt, although we had some very cold, windy, rainy, and snowy days just one week after the opener. My dogs were in heaven. Great country for pointing dogs. I can' t tell you how many people called me before my hunt to warn me of the warm temps and to watch out for the heat, quoting the articles. Its nice to know so many people care like that about my dogs and I. South Dakota was great, the people wonderful. I' ll be back next year.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 100 Gundogs die on SD opener

Glad you enjoyed the trip to our state and your post was very well presented. I am sure they were just trying to warn the hunters of the dangerious heat but good greif they should stop and think.
Just talked with one guide today and he had the total up to 200 = see how these things go. I jumped down his neck and told him to be sure what he is telling people or shut up.