Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Brittany/catahoula mix

Old 04-07-2016, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Because when you mix the 2 "noses" they tend to "cancel" each other out. You end up with a dog that is neither earthy or airy in scenting. It's also up to ear size as well. Since the ears may or may not be big enough to capture scent around the muzzle. Most don't realize that one of the best aspects of the blood hounds scenting ability is those big floppy ears. Those ears more that quadruple the amount of sample for the dog to scent. Most Cur dogs don't have longer ears and Brits aren't too awful long either. Curs aren't the greatest scenters as they have a tendency to pick up a very hot trail then catch sight of the hog. Brits are pretty much the same, they pick up hot bird sign then they use their spectacular vision to lay eyes on the bird then go to point. Neither dog has spectacular noses in the first place.
This is sort of my point. Both are what you might call hot nosed. It's not the same as a cold nosed hound and I wouldn't expect either to run a cold track. Until there are dogs on the ground of course this is all speculation. But I do enjoy kicking it around.

As a pointing dog guy I feel I should say that sight pointing is discouraged in gun dogs. We want them to lock up as the enter the scent cone and not crowd the bird. Eventually between corrections, not getting birds shot in front of them and experiencing the futility of chasing. Most dogs put it together on their own. Others learn the hard way but learn they do.

ATB
Old 04-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
This is sort of my point. Both are what you might call hot nosed. It's not the same as a cold nosed hound and I wouldn't expect either to run a cold track. Until there are dogs on the ground of course this is all speculation. But I do enjoy kicking it around.

As a pointing dog guy I feel I should say that sight pointing is discouraged in gun dogs. We want them to lock up as the enter the scent cone and not crowd the bird. Eventually between corrections, not getting birds shot in front of them and experiencing the futility of chasing. Most dogs put it together on their own. Others learn the hard way but learn they do.

ATB
So it will most likely be a hot nosed dog. And would work a new/hot sent.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kai
So it will most likely be a hot nosed dog. And would work a new/hot sent.
Speculation. But that's my guess.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is the problem with doing a breeding on a whim, it is a guess with nothing to base an outcome on. Breeding for certain traits requires breeding and back breeding fir several generations and you still may have nothing to show for it.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Speculation. But that's my guess.
Ok think you for all the info.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
That is the problem with doing a breeding on a whim, it is a guess with nothing to base an outcome on. Breeding for certain traits requires breeding and back breeding fir several generations and you still may have nothing to show for it.
True but then again it could turn out to be a great dog or it could not. You don't know what will happen enless you try it.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Kai
Spike

Mickey Finn in you opinion would it make a good dog or should it not be mixed or should it be mixed to see how it would turn out.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Circular discussion Kai. I suggest finding another topic to discuss. PM sent.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-08-2016 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kai
True but then again it could turn out to be a great dog or it could not. You don't know what will happen enless you try it.
And what if the result of this "breeding" is a bunch of pups with none of the traits you were hoping for? Worse yet, what if the breeding creates dogs with negative traits, such that they are unmanageable and undesirable for anyone? What will you then do with the litter?
Old 04-08-2016, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kai
Mickey Finn in you opinion would it make a good dog or should it not be mixed or should it be mixed to see how it would turn out.
I'm not sure what the Mod told you. But if we are taking this out of the realm of theoretic discussion. I'd say that you could end up with a useful dog. But you would have 8 or so pups to find homes for whether for hunting or as pet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.