Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Brittany/catahoula mix

Old 04-06-2016, 06:43 AM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by JW
But the mix is yet unproven.

Do what your like - you asked and received some valuable advice from some seasoned dog owners. I saw many dogs through my 25 yrs of judging. Only saw a handful of what I would call great dogs. But did see a lot of good dogs. And I saw some I would never let enter my kennel.

JW
I am thinkful for all the advice that I have been given and I will keep it in mind.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by JW
But the mix is yet unproven.

Do what your like - you asked and received some valuable advice from some seasoned dog owners. I saw many dogs through my 25 yrs of judging. Only saw a handful of what I would call great dogs. But did see a lot of good dogs. And I saw some I would never let enter my kennel.

JW
in your opinion and time you have spent with dogs. What do you think it would turn out to be like.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have to define a breed. Like you mentioned most are a mix that is refined and tends to breed true. It usually takes many generations.

For instance I bred a Jack Russel/Rat Terrier with a Plummer terrier. My Plummer is a good dog, but has little to much Bull Terrier in him. I expected the Jack Russel to be dominant and was surprised when the Plummer was dominant and I ended up with an outstanding earth dog.

She resembles an almost Dachshund with a Russel head, but with almost exactly the same coloration as her father. She absolutely loves diving down burrows.

You have dominant genes and recessives. A large percentage of the time with random mixes, you end up with the recessives remixing and the results may resemble an addition to the breed from many generations distant.

In other words like Oldtimer alluded to, what you may get is anybodies guess.

Some breeds seem to have stronger genes than others, it may be the age of the line or just happenstance. Collie is an example. many breeds have some Collie in there, mostly for the lighter bone structure and the speed. Same with Greyhound, more red blood cells,larger lungs, lighter bones. And many have a taste of Beagle in there for the nose.

A breed is often defined as an animal that breeds true. More likely that the dominant genes prevail. But even with the most stable breeds, around 10-25 percent may revert back to unwanted or undesirable recessives.

People get hung up with temperament and train-ability. There are other factors just as important. Thick skin is a plus in a Hog dog, they go barreling through brush and get hurt. The down side of thick skin is they tend to overheat quicker. A lot of "one eyed" Curs or Lurchers around, most have a lot of scaring from brush. My last Cur had to have a two inch X 3/4 inch diameter stick removed from four inches deep in his chest. A side note, that Cur was also an outstanding retriever, it was strong in his genes.

Like mentioned you have to define Hog Dog, some chase and bay, some latch on and hold on. Some are predominantly sight hunters and/or speed dogs, some are nose dominant or Terrier based.

Best all around Hog Dog I've ever had was a mutt, best guess is a Shepard/Boxer mix. Eye dominant with a really good herding instinct. I called her a Lurcher, almost as fast as a pure speed dog but with brains. She seriously resembled a Blacknose Cur in appearance, go figure? A really good stock Dog and a seriously good hunter.

The two pure Hog Dogs I've had were mixes, one was a Rottweiler Beagle mix, the other a Beagle Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. Both would follow a scent trail forever and had serious tunnel vision. The Rottweiler/Beagle was seriously aggressive, the Rhodesian Ridgeback/Beagle more biddable. Both sang like a beagle when on a hot trail.

I usually pare my dogs up as a Lurcher or Cur and what I call a nose bay hound with a fighting instinct. One to overtake and turn them and the other to close the deal. Both have to be able to fight. one is usually better at it than the other.

Even in the same Breed there can be an amazing amount of difference in individuals from the same breeder, Slight but noticeable differences in temperament, abilities and proclivities. They may often look like clones, but have slightly different skill sets.

My Weimaraner has smelled a Fox from four hundred yards on a still day in a sound sleep. Supposedly a pointer retriever. He has an outstanding nose. Somewhere in his ancestry there was likely a Bloodhound in there.

Something to keep in mind, a Dog can bite a Hog many times and do no real damage, a three year old hog can crush bone with one bite. I had a three legged Weimaraner that lost a front leg to a large Sow.

Dogs are forever (at least their forever) they aren't the clothing mode of the day to be sent to the goodwill or forgotten in a closet if you decide they don't fit anymore. Sometimes the best results happen when you figure out what your Dog does well and/or to tailor your hunting to their abilities.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-06-2016 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 AM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
You have to define a breed. Like you mentioned most are a mix that is refined and tends to breed true. It usually takes many generations.

For instance I bred a Jack Russel/Rat Terrier with a Plummer terrier. My Plummer is a good dog, but has little to much Bull Terrier in him. I expected the Jack Russel to be dominant and was surprised when the Plummer was dominant and I ended up with an outstanding earth dog.

She resembles an almost Dachshund with a Russel head, but with almost exactly the same coloration as her father. She absolutely loves diving down burrows.

You have dominant genes and recessives. A large percentage of the time with random mixes, you end up with the recessives remixing and the results may resemble an addition to the breed from many generations distant.

In other words like Oldtimer alluded to, what you may get is anybodies guess.

Some breeds seem to have stronger genes than others, it may be the age of the line or just happenstance. Collie is an example. many breeds have some Collie in there, mostly for the lighter bone structure and the speed. Same with Greyhound, more red blood cells,larger lungs, lighter bones. And many have a taste of Beagle in there for the nose.

A breed is often defined as an animal that breeds true. More likely that the dominant genes prevail. But even with the most stable breeds, around 10-25 percent may revert back to unwanted or undesirable recessives.

People get hung up with temperament and train-ability. There are other factors just as important. Thick skin is a plus in a Hog dog, they go barreling through brush and get hurt. The down side of thick skin is they tend to overheat quicker. A lot of "one eyed" Curs or Lurchers around, most have a lot of scaring from brush. My last Cur had to have a two inch X 3/4 inch diameter stick removed from four inches deep in his chest. A side note, that Cur was also an outstanding retriever, it was strong in his genes.

Like mentioned you have to define Hog Dog, some chase and bay, some latch on and hold on. Some are predominantly sight hunters and/or speed dogs, some are nose dominant or Terrier based.

Best all around Hog Dog I've ever had was a mutt, best guess is a Shepard/Boxer mix. Eye dominant with a really good herding instinct. I called her a Lurcher, almost as fast as a pure speed dog but with brains. She seriously resembled a Blacknose Cur in appearance, go figure? A really good stock Dog and a seriously good hunter.

The two pure Hog Dogs I've had were mixes, one was a Rottweiler Beagle mix, the other a Beagle Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. Both would follow a scent trail forever and had serious tunnel vision. The Rottweiler/Beagle was seriously aggressive, the Rhodesian Ridgeback/Beagle more biddable. Both sang like a beagle when on a hot trail.

I usually pare my dogs up as a Lurcher or Cur and what I call a nose bay hound with a fighting instinct. One to overtake and turn them and the other to close the deal. Both have to be able to fight. one is usually better at it than the other.

Even in the same Breed there can be an amazing amount of difference in individuals from the same breeder, Slight but noticeable differences in temperament, abilities and proclivities. They may often look like clones, but have slightly different skill sets.

My Weimaraner has smelled a Fox from four hundred yards on a still day in a sound sleep. Supposedly a pointer retriever. He has an outstanding nose. Somewhere in his ancestry there was likely a Bloodhound in there.

Something to keep in mind, a Dog can bite a Hog many times and do no real damage, a three year old hog can crush bone with one bite. I had a three legged Weimaraner that lost a front leg to a large Sow.

Dogs are forever (at least their forever) they aren't the clothing mode of the day to be sent to the goodwill or forgotten in a closet if you decide they don't fit anymore. Sometimes the best results happen when you figure out what your Dog does well and/or to tailor your hunting to their abilities.
thank you for all the information that you give and sounds like you have had some great dogs. And I agree that even pups from the same parents can act and hunt differently than the others.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been breeding, raising, training, and FEEDING, coon hounds, rabbit hounds (my main passion) and Hog hounds for the better part of 40 years now. As I told you in another post, I cut my hog hounds out because I just don't run hogs with dogs like I used to (age does that) so keeping the poor things in a kennel all the time without hogs around here to keep them in fit shape was detrimental to my dogs so they went to a good buddy down in Texas where they will get dang near DAILY exercise!!

The "mix" you are proposing would more than likely end up in a fairly good herding dog with a pretty much useless nose. It would also probably end up WAY too energetic to be a house dog as well. Cat's and Brit's both are extremely energetic dogs. The pups would more than likely have very sharp eyes and would "sight hunt" like a demon on steroids with the likely foot speed they would have. It would be a tossup as to what kind of mouth they would have for baying. If you can't hear your dogs on a hot trail they are pretty much useless to you. Hearing a good bay is much faster than trying to track them with a GPS. Brits aren't a bay hound and have "soft" mouths. Cat's don't have the best mouths either but they are 10 times better than any upland game bird dog.

Granted everything I wrote in that last paragraph is merely "suspicion" but knowing both the breeds fairly well I would have to bet on my "suspicions" to be pretty much correct. The breeds that you are trying to "mix up" are just too far apart in their "job skills" to produce a viable working dog for hunting. Then again, you may end up with a littler of Cat's or a littler of Brits depending on which dog has the most dominant genes. When trying to come up with a good mix to create a new breed for a specific "job" you don't start from the furthest away specifics but the closest and work the breeding outwards till you end up with the desired effect. It takes several generations to create a specific dog unless your "job requirement" is similar to both dogs. Like breeding a Pit with a Cat. You would more than likely have either a dog with a great nose and a powerful body OR a dog with an "ok" nose and iron clad jaws with fantastic foot speed.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:52 AM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I've been breeding, raising, training, and FEEDING, coon hounds, rabbit hounds (my main passion) and Hog hounds for the better part of 40 years now. As I told you in another post, I cut my hog hounds out because I just don't run hogs with dogs like I used to (age does that) so keeping the poor things in a kennel all the time without hogs around here to keep them in fit shape was detrimental to my dogs so they went to a good buddy down in Texas where they will get dang near DAILY exercise!!

The "mix" you are proposing would more than likely end up in a fairly good herding dog with a pretty much useless nose. It would also probably end up WAY too energetic to be a house dog as well. Cat's and Brit's both are extremely energetic dogs. The pups would more than likely have very sharp eyes and would "sight hunt" like a demon on steroids with the likely foot speed they would have. It would be a tossup as to what kind of mouth they would have for baying. If you can't hear your dogs on a hot trail they are pretty much useless to you. Hearing a good bay is much faster than trying to track them with a GPS. Brits aren't a bay hound and have "soft" mouths. Cat's don't have the best mouths either but they are 10 times better than any upland game bird dog.

Granted everything I wrote in that last paragraph is merely "suspicion" but knowing both the breeds fairly well I would have to bet on my "suspicions" to be pretty much correct. The breeds that you are trying to "mix up" are just too far apart in their "job skills" to produce a viable working dog for hunting. Then again, you may end up with a littler of Cat's or a littler of Brits depending on which dog has the most dominant genes. When trying to come up with a good mix to create a new breed for a specific "job" you don't start from the furthest away specifics but the closest and work the breeding outwards till you end up with the desired effect. It takes several generations to create a specific dog unless your "job requirement" is similar to both dogs. Like breeding a Pit with a Cat. You would more than likely have either a dog with a great nose and a powerful body OR a dog with an "ok" nose and iron clad jaws with fantastic foot speed.
think you for all the info. And i know they are really far apart in what they do. And it would probably not be the best mix I was just curious on what people thought and what it my be able to do.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now the conversation is going. I was wondering why you thought the nose would be poor on this cross? More specific are you using cold nose trailing as your measure. In that case, I would agree with your observation. But a warmer nosed dog which follows a hot track will catch more than, or at least as many as it trees.

My main question is if the Britt which has been bred to a certain physical standard for so long would dominate? My own mix breed 1/4 collie-3/4 greyhound. You couldn't get two more different breeds. But it blended nicely to produce a fast, strong, courageous dog with a modest nose. He's eager to please and you never have to correct him twice. More greyhound than collie as the percentage would dictate.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:02 AM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Now the conversation is going. I was wondering why you thought the nose would be poor on this cross? More specific are you using cold nose trailing as your measure. In that case, I would agree with your observation. But a warmer nosed dog which follows a hot track will catch more than, or at least as many as it trees.

My main question is if the Britt which has been bred to a certain physical standard for so long would dominate? My own mix breed 1/4 collie-3/4 greyhound. You couldn't get two more different breeds. But it blended nicely to produce a fast, strong, courageous dog with a modest nose. He's eager to please and you never have to correct him twice. More greyhound than collie as the percentage would dictate.
I was all so wondering way you think the nose would be poor.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because when you mix the 2 "noses" they tend to "cancel" each other out. You end up with a dog that is neither earthy or airy in scenting. It's also up to ear size as well. Since the ears may or may not be big enough to capture scent around the muzzle. Most don't realize that one of the best aspects of the blood hounds scenting ability is those big floppy ears. Those ears more that quadruple the amount of sample for the dog to scent. Most Cur dogs don't have longer ears and Brits aren't too awful long either. Curs aren't the greatest scenters as they have a tendency to pick up a very hot trail then catch sight of the hog. Brits are pretty much the same, they pick up hot bird sign then they use their spectacular vision to lay eyes on the bird then go to point. Neither dog has spectacular noses in the first place.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Kai
Spike

Because when you mix the 2 "noses" they tend to "cancel" each other out. You end up with a dog that is neither earthy or airy in scenting. It's also up to ear size as well. Since the ears may or may not be big enough to capture scent around the muzzle. Most don't realize that one of the best aspects of the blood hounds scenting ability is those big floppy ears. Those ears more that quadruple the amount of sample for the dog to scent. Most Cur dogs don't have longer ears and Brits aren't too awful long either. Curs aren't the greatest scenters as they have a tendency to pick up a very hot trail then catch sight of the hog. Brits are pretty much the same, they pick up hot bird sign then they use their spectacular vision to lay eyes on the bird then go to point. Neither dog has spectacular noses in the first place.
Ok think you for the info I was curious and you and you answered my question so think you. So you thank if they mixed they would hunt primarily by sight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.