Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Brittany/catahoula mix

Old 04-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Fannymae is a Cat and pit mix. She has no nose as compared to most hounds but very acute eyesight and very fast on her feet. I send her down to the lake to run off the geese that try to nest on my shore. She never catches them but sometimes it is a little too close. She is instant death to a ground squirrel or field mouse that shows anywhere near her and she absolutely hates snakes. She understands almost everything I tell her and has an inner sense on my routines. She definitely is a herder and shows that when she plays with other dogs.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-02-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Fannymae is a Cat and pit mix. She has no nose as compared to most hounds but very acute eyesight and very fast on her feet. I send her down to the lake to run off the geese that try to nest on my shore. She never catches them but sometimes it is a little too close. She is instant death to a ground squirrel or field mouse that shows anywhere near her and she absolutely hates snakes. She understands almost everything I tell her and has an inner sense on my routines. She definitely is a herder and shows that when she plays with other dogs.
sounds like she is a good dog.Thanks for the info
Old 04-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
No, and I wouldn't want one. One trails scent on the ground and the other finds scent in the air and goes on point. You would not want a dog to point hogs! I have a serious question, how old are you because you seem to be ignoring everything you have been told and just continue to cover the same ground with different questions. Hunting hogs with dogs is no joke, you don't seem to realize that or you do not want to hear it!
Right on oldtimer. Again how old are you kai?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by gjersy
...Edited by Champlain Islander...

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-06-2016 at 02:45 AM. Reason: flaming
Old 04-05-2016, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy
Actually, Catahoula's are not trail hounds they are curs and use scent the same way a gun dog might. For Kai's question I'd have to guess again as I've never seen this cross. I'd guess a good solid dog with an good nose and a fair amount of courage. So, raccoons, and other small game, and probably useful on other things if it's introduced properly.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Actually, Catahoula's are not trail hounds they are curs and use scent the same way a gun dog might. For Kai's question I'd have to guess again as I've never seen this cross. I'd guess a good solid dog with an good nose and a fair amount of courage. So, raccoons, and other small game, and probably useful on other things if it's introduced properly.
THANK you for your info ,opinion and answering my question. ...Edited by Champlain Islander... I was asking this question because I am thanking of getting a female Catahoula and I already have a male Brittany. So I was curious if they had pups what I could hunt with them. So you believe raccoon and other small game like?

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 04-06-2016 at 02:41 AM. Reason: flaming
Old 04-05-2016, 02:28 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have one question why?

By cross breeding you weaken a gene pool that has been developed for years. Each breed is used and bread for certain huntable characteristics. The Catahoula is used for other game more fur, while a Brittany is one of the versatile pointing breeds. Used on upland game aka birds. Can one dog do it all? Certainly but then I suggest looking for a pup that way rather than creating a mutt.

Sorry to disappoint but that is my suggestion.

Not to clear a few things up - I owned mutts and hunted mutts at an early age. They can hunt but with the variety of great breeds one can get now - I must ask why?

JW
Old 04-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by JW
I have one question why?

By cross breeding you weaken a gene pool that has been developed for years. Each breed is used and bread for certain huntable characteristics. The Catahoula is used for other game more fur, while a Brittany is one of the versatile pointing breeds. Used on upland game aka birds. Can one dog do it all? Certainly but then I suggest looking for a pup that way rather than creating a mutt.

Sorry to disappoint but that is my suggestion.

Not to clear a few things up - I owned mutts and hunted mutts at an early age. They can hunt but with the variety of great breeds one can get now - I must ask why?

JW
I was just curious what it may turn out like that is why. I have a Brittany and am thinking about getting a Catahoula. Plus I like mutts
Old 04-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hundreds of years of careful breeding of hunting dogs by people who care about making the breed the best it can be at the job it is meant for, only to be undone by someone who wonders what the result of breeding two different breeds that are meant for two different purposes . Ridiculous! Dog pounds and rescue organization are over run with mutts, go get one of them instead of creating more!

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-05-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Kai
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Hundreds of years of careful breeding of hunting dogs by people who care about making the breed the best it can be at the job it is meant for, only to be undone by someone who wonders what the result of breeding two different breeds that are meant for two different purposes . Ridiculous! Dog pounds and rescue organization are over run with mutts, go get one of them instead of creating more!
haha most dogs started out as mutts and to create a new and better breed you have to have more than one breed so you start out with mutts. In the process of makin something new and better. And when you add two or more breeds you can make something better than the original.

Last edited by Kai; 04-05-2016 at 03:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.