Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
Shar Peis as hunting dogs? >

Shar Peis as hunting dogs?

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Shar Peis as hunting dogs?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Spike

Default Pei hunting

Just to let you know I have three Shar-pei. Read about the difference between meat mouth Shar-pei and bone mouth Sharpei. You will need a Bone Mouth Shar pei for hunting. They were the line bread for hunting. I have one bone and two meat mouth. The meat mouth are lazy more like a bulldog. The bone mouth are agressive and love to chase. Make sure you put the money out and get one from a reputable breeder it will cost money and make sure they will pay for the eye surgery of entroption which creeps in the line. Be prepared for a bit more work due to the shape of ears. The Shar-pei ears are unique in the animal kingdom. You have to flush them once a week. You will have to purchase medicine for the life of the dog to combat yeast in the ears. YEA IT SUCKS ESPECIALLY WITH THREE. But the breed does pay off you do not need a security system in the house. They will tear anyone that walks in the door unannounced. Some people like that some do not. Also with feeding they need a lower protein diet then most breeds. I suggest VERUS Fish due to the lower protein. A secret in the pei world is one with the least wrinkles have the least amount of problems. If you need anymore info hit me up.
Attached Thumbnails Shar Peis as hunting dogs?-imag0195.jpg  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Spike

I have to say you are wrong about group hunting. They can and will group hunt if all are raised together. Shar-Pei will stalk like a shark. They can see fine but develop eye problems early. I would definetly put GPS on the dog when training I agree they have a mind of their own. I have three and I would only walk one w/o a leash. I am also in a major city. And with getting hogs you only need one to be able to find it and they all will jump in the frey. Could be another breed but they love to bite. I also agree their skin is tougher and they have more then most breeds. So if they are cut they have more protection. I am a retired police officer and have worked with Sheperds. I prefer the Pei they are a one owner dog. That is another problem when people buy and get rid of them it is very hard for this breed to take to another owner which manifistates as agression.