Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Fur & Feathers

Old 09-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fur & Feathers

Got out of the office today ----> went home ----> changed clothes ----> and went out for a short grouse hunt near home.
Drove out 6 miles and turned onto a loggging road. Within 100 feet of turning, Tucker went on point. I got out and loaded up. I walked to within gun range and released Tucker from point........... He made the flush and I made the shot = nice ruff in the bag
Drove another 10 minutes and there was a bunny (Snowshoe Hare). I shot the bunny and Tucker made the retrieve. This was the very first time Tucker ever retrieved an animal with fur. He had chased bunnies in the past, but never got close to catching one. He went immediately to the bunny, smelled it about 5 seconds --- picked it up and delivered to hand (THANK YOU SmartFetch) :yes
About 15 minutes later and there was another bunny (Tucker was in his crate at the time), so I got Casey out and we did a walk-up. When I was in shooting range, I shot the bunny. I sent Casey (he has retreived a few rabbits in the past) and he made a nice retrieve to hand.
One for chicken fried bunny and one for rabbit stew

Old 09-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats Doc! It is good to see they are doing good..

I think about you and the geese every time I see a flock of them flying over your house. They have been flying over almost every day now honking up a storm going from the river to the fields up across town. Every once in a while we hear them honking as the fly by at night as well.